Temporary Moderator - Berkeman

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Please note that I need to take some time off. In the mean time, Berkeman, one of our Engineering Mentors, being the brave-hearted and daring man that he is, has kindly agreed to moderate the forum in my absence. Please direct all concerns and comments to him.

Thanks Berkeman. :smile:

Answers and Replies

Please note that I need to take some time off. In the mean time, Berkeman, one of our Engineering Mentors, being the brave-hearted and daring man that he is, has kindly agreed to moderate the forum in my absence. Please direct all concerns and comments to him.

Is Berkeman liberal enough?

Evo
Mentor
Berkeman can be anything. I was not aware that Berk was into the supernatural though. :tongue2:

Berkeman can be anything. I was not aware that Berk was into the supernatural though. :tongue2:
I've heard that Berkeman can be like that.

berkeman
Mentor
I'm going to lock this stickie. I'd appreciate help moderating S&D in Ivan's absence. Please PM me if there are problems/issues with any posts, but I need a pointer into the S&D rules and tutorials for any complaints, please. Ivan has set up a pretty good framework, from what I can see.

With your help, moderating the S&D forum in Ivan's temporary absence should go okay.

berkeman
Mentor
Guess I'll unlock for a bit.

I'm not necessarily liberal. I admire what Ivan has created with this forum. The S&D rules are complex to me (I'm mostly an EE, with a little physics education). but there seems to be some significant value to this forum, IMO.

Honestly, I'd appreciate your help in the next couple months while Ivan is heads-down in his work. I'm seriously heads-down as well, but I think I have enough bandwidth to try to help moderate S&D for a couple months, but only with help from the forum regulars.

Thanks.

Pengwuino
Gold Member

Ivan finally burnt out. Guess a man can only take so much nonsense.

I mean, skepticism.

I was kidding around, Berkeman. While it's highly doubtful that I'm qualified, if I see anything that looks like it needs your attention, I'll gladly help out.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Berkeman is aces! And he is doing a great job.

But there is some real irony in your question. I wrote the guidelines with the specific goal of eliminating the need for subjective moderation. In principle, anyone could study the guidelines and moderate this forum exactly as I do.

Berkeman may not be inclined to hold the debunkers toes to the fire as I do, but in those cases I am simply posting as would any other member.

I'm not back; just taking a breather for a moment.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
Berkeman is aces! And he is doing a great job.
Seconded.

In principle, anyone could study the guidelines and moderate this forum exactly as I do.
No, you do a very good job.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Seconded.

No, you do a very good job.
Thanks for the compliment, :smile:, but I really believe what I say. The only distinction is that I have thought it all through, forwards and backwards, for almost eight years. :biggrin:

I would probably need to provide a philosophical explantion to help to make sense of the rules, as I did in brief for Berkeman, but every moderating decision I make is based explicitly on the guidelines. I never have to guess at the proper decision anymore. I do have to think about it for a while at times, but in the end, there is always a definitive qualifier for any action taken. I often feel more like a lawyer than a moderator.

Last edited:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Glad you could bring your head up for while. We all miss you.

You'll need to watch berkeman thought. He's starting to like SD a lot IMO.

Borek
Mentor
I often feel more like a lawyer than a moderator.
Looks like a rare opportunity for a Mentor to infract himself for insulting himself.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Looks like a rare opportunity for a Mentor to infract himself for insulting himself.
I tried banning myself but it didn't work. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It looks like the worst is over, so by all rights I should stick around.

Thank you Berkeman for minding the store. Great job!!!

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Welcome home Ivan.

Thanks Berkeman.

berkeman
Mentor
It looks like the worst is over, so by all rights I should stick around.

Thank you Berkeman for minding the store. Great job!!!
Thanks Ivan. Great to have you back!!

Thanks Ivan. Great to have you back!!
Ahhh... Ivan is back, Berkeman gets to be free of a geas... life is good. :wink:

Still, it should be said, Berkeman you've done an admirable job in my view, and I'm not contrasting with Ivan, just making the point that it's good to know that in a pinch, there is depth to the line-up.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ahhh... Ivan is back, Berkeman gets to be free of a geas... life is good. :wink:

Still, it should be said, Berkeman you've done an admirable job in my view, and I'm not contrasting with Ivan, just making the point that it's good to know that in a pinch, there is depth to the line-up.
True! And it is no small favor to ask of another staff member. It took me several years to make sense of this forum and to find ways to moderate objectively. I really appreciate Berkeman taking on the challenge and managing the struggle here, where day fights with night. :biggrin:

True! And it is no small favor to ask of another staff member. It took me several years to make sense of this forum and to find ways to moderate objectively. I really appreciate Berkeman taking on the challenge and managing the struggle here, where day fights with night. :biggrin:
Is there ANYONE here who isn't a fantasy/sci-fi nerd? (I am)... yeah... I thought so.

Day with Night... :rofl:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Day with Night... :rofl:
I thought you might like that. :biggrin: - the last words of Victor Hugo.

I thought you might like that. :biggrin: - the last words of Victor Hugo.
You were correct sir! :smile: