Temporary Moderator - Berkeman

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: Is Berkeman liberal enough?In summary, Berkeman, one of our Engineering Mentors, is stepping in to moderate the forum while Ivan takes a break. Please direct all concerns and comments to him.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Please note that I need to take some time off. In the mean time, Berkeman, one of our Engineering Mentors, being the brave-hearted and daring man that he is, has kindly agreed to moderate the forum in my absence. Please direct all concerns and comments to him.

Thanks Berkeman. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Please note that I need to take some time off. In the mean time, Berkeman, one of our Engineering Mentors, being the brave-hearted and daring man that he is, has kindly agreed to moderate the forum in my absence. Please direct all concerns and comments to him.

Is Berkeman liberal enough?

jobyts said:
Berkeman can be anything. I was not aware that Berk was into the supernatural though. :tongue2:

Evo said:
Berkeman can be anything. I was not aware that Berk was into the supernatural though. :tongue2:

I've heard that Berkeman can be like that.

I'm going to lock this stickie. I'd appreciate help moderating S&D in Ivan's absence. Please PM me if there are problems/issues with any posts, but I need a pointer into the S&D rules and tutorials for any complaints, please. Ivan has set up a pretty good framework, from what I can see.

With your help, moderating the S&D forum in Ivan's temporary absence should go okay.

jobyts said:

Guess I'll unlock for a bit.

I'm not necessarily liberal. I admire what Ivan has created with this forum. The S&D rules are complex to me (I'm mostly an EE, with a little physics education). but there seems to be some significant value to this forum, IMO.

Honestly, I'd appreciate your help in the next couple months while Ivan is heads-down in his work. I'm seriously heads-down as well, but I think I have enough bandwidth to try to help moderate S&D for a couple months, but only with help from the forum regulars.

Thanks.

Ivan Seeking said:

Ivan finally burnt out. Guess a man can only take so much nonsense.

I mean, skepticism.

I was kidding around, Berkeman. While it's highly doubtful that I'm qualified, if I see anything that looks like it needs your attention, I'll gladly help out.

jobyts said:

Berkeman is aces! And he is doing a great job.

But there is some real irony in your question. I wrote the guidelines with the specific goal of eliminating the need for subjective moderation. In principle, anyone could study the guidelines and moderate this forum exactly as I do.

Berkeman may not be inclined to hold the debunkers toes to the fire as I do, but in those cases I am simply posting as would any other member.

I'm not back; just taking a breather for a moment.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Berkeman is aces! And he is doing a great job.
Seconded.

In principle, anyone could study the guidelines and moderate this forum exactly as I do.
No, you do a very good job.

Evo said:
Seconded.

No, you do a very good job.

Thanks for the compliment, :smile:, but I really believe what I say. The only distinction is that I have thought it all through, forwards and backwards, for almost eight years. :biggrin:

I would probably need to provide a philosophical explantion to help to make sense of the rules, as I did in brief for Berkeman, but every moderating decision I make is based explicitly on the guidelines. I never have to guess at the proper decision anymore. I do have to think about it for a while at times, but in the end, there is always a definitive qualifier for any action taken. I often feel more like a lawyer than a moderator.

Last edited:
Glad you could bring your head up for while. We all miss you.

You'll need to watch berkeman thought. He's starting to like SD a lot IMO.

Ivan Seeking said:
I often feel more like a lawyer than a moderator.

Looks like a rare opportunity for a Mentor to infract himself for insulting himself.

Borek said:
Looks like a rare opportunity for a Mentor to infract himself for insulting himself.

I tried banning myself but it didn't work. :biggrin:

It looks like the worst is over, so by all rights I should stick around.

Thank you Berkeman for minding the store. Great job!

Welcome home Ivan.

Thanks Berkeman.

Ivan Seeking said:
It looks like the worst is over, so by all rights I should stick around.

Thank you Berkeman for minding the store. Great job!

Thanks Ivan. Great to have you back!

berkeman said:
Thanks Ivan. Great to have you back!

Ahhh... Ivan is back, Berkeman gets to be free of a geas... life is good. :wink:

Still, it should be said, Berkeman you've done an admirable job in my view, and I'm not contrasting with Ivan, just making the point that it's good to know that in a pinch, there is depth to the line-up.

nismaratwork said:
Ahhh... Ivan is back, Berkeman gets to be free of a geas... life is good. :wink:

Still, it should be said, Berkeman you've done an admirable job in my view, and I'm not contrasting with Ivan, just making the point that it's good to know that in a pinch, there is depth to the line-up.

True! And it is no small favor to ask of another staff member. It took me several years to make sense of this forum and to find ways to moderate objectively. I really appreciate Berkeman taking on the challenge and managing the struggle here, where day fights with night. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
True! And it is no small favor to ask of another staff member. It took me several years to make sense of this forum and to find ways to moderate objectively. I really appreciate Berkeman taking on the challenge and managing the struggle here, where day fights with night. :biggrin:

Is there ANYONE here who isn't a fantasy/sci-fi nerd? (I am)... yeah... I thought so.

Day with Night... :rofl:

nismaratwork said:
Day with Night... :rofl:

I thought you might like that. :biggrin: - the last words of Victor Hugo.

Ivan Seeking said:
I thought you might like that. :biggrin: - the last words of Victor Hugo.

You were correct sir! :smile:

What is a "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman"?

A "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman" is a position within a scientific community where an individual is assigned the role of moderating discussions, enforcing community guidelines, and ensuring a respectful and productive environment for members.

How is a "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman" different from a regular moderator?

A "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman" is usually brought in for a specific period of time or for a specific purpose, whereas a regular moderator is a permanent member of the community. Temporary moderators may also have a different set of responsibilities and may not have access to all of the same tools as regular moderators.

Who chooses the "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman"?

The choice of a "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman" is usually made by the community administrators or moderators. They may choose someone who is knowledgeable and respected within the community or someone who has specific expertise in a certain topic.

What are the responsibilities of a "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman"?

The responsibilities of a "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman" may vary depending on the community and the specific assignment. However, in general, they are responsible for maintaining a respectful and productive environment for community members, enforcing community guidelines, and moderating discussions or debates.

Can anyone become a "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman"?

In most cases, the community administrators or moderators select individuals to be "Temporary Moderator - Berkeman." However, community members can also nominate themselves or others for the role. The final decision ultimately rests with the community administrators or moderators.