Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temptation in the pet store

1. Sep 16, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was buying some catfood in the pet store for my 13-year-old kitty today and there was a "kitten adoption day" going on. There were a lot of sweet kittens and cats there that need good homes. Sometimes I think about adopting another because I worry about my kitty being lonely -- I am away at work and school a lot. Our other cat passed away a couple of years ago, and even though they weren't close, I think she misses having her around.

But then again, she's getting on in years and bringing in a new cat might just traumatize her. The other thing is that in this city it is really hard to find apartments that allow pets, and if I lost my place I would likely have to send my cat to live with my parents while I finish school. If I adopted another, then I would have to burden them with two cats.

Those sweet little faces were so tempting, though. There was a little solid black polydactyl cat that was ready to jump in my bag and leave with me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Awww, a polydactl. I almost adopted a solid black polydactl when I first moved here.

Kittens are so hard to resist.

4. Sep 16, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's tough to know with an older cat. You might be better off adopting another older cat if you're doing it to provider her with a companion. A kitten might be a bit too rambunctious for her to handle, and the older ones have a harder time getting adopted than kittens do.

Or, if you know someone else with a kitten, maybe they can bring it to visit and see how your cat handles having one around before you decide whether to adopt one.

5. Sep 16, 2006 #4
    Last time I went to a petstore I was so close to adopting a rottweiler....then I remembered I live in an apartment and can't. I havent been to one since....they are way to tempting.

6. Sep 16, 2006 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was so cute. He had big "thumbs" like a hitchhiker.

7. Sep 16, 2006 #6

Evo

Awwwww. Ok, where is this place, I'm flying out tomorrow.

8. Sep 16, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They did say I could maybe do a trial basis adoption. I think it would depend so much on temperment. There was another cat there, about 3 years old, but they said he really didn't like to interact with other cats. That could be good or bad, I think, in our situation. Some of the kittens were hyper but others were very shy. I don't think she would take well to a rowdy kitten that tugged at her ear and wanted her to play all the time.
    She had one older cat "friend", my neighbors cat, who just passed away a month ago. They liked to sit near each other quietly, but not play. Any other time a cat has tried to get near her she has chased it off.

9. Sep 16, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

was it a puppy? I bet rottie pups are cute.:shy:

10. Sep 16, 2006 #9

Evo

The trial sounds good, probably a quiet kitten or older cat will work.

I have a stray cat that showed up that is so sweet until she sees Dr Foofer, then she gets all riled and attacks him. He's a pacifist, so he runs. I think I'm going to have to take her to the animal shleter, she thinks she lives here and is sole owner.

11. Sep 16, 2006 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, you would love it. They actually said they didn't recommend the little black cat for me because he had such a constant craving for human attention that they thought he would be all over me all of the time and make my cat jealous.

12. Sep 16, 2006 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

i think it would be awesome to live in the woods and befriend/tame/possess a wild animal, but I just don't have the urge to pick up after and feed other things while I live a studious life. I'm sure it will all change when I have kids (which I will train to be vampyre ninja pirates).

13. Sep 16, 2006 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh no! Poor Foofer.

14. Sep 16, 2006 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

when you're ready, I have a raccoon I'll sell you - cheap!

15. Sep 16, 2006 #14
    No it was about 2 years old, but so so adorable. That dog was so sweet, I would have brought him home in a minute if I didnt live in the city, but I would never have a dog like that in the city, they need room to run.

16. Sep 16, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: I'm glad Ember doesn't have any thumbs! She already gets into enough trouble, I can't imagine what she'd manage to do if she had thumbs to help! :rofl:

But that would be really cute...it makes me think of mittens when I see them with thumbs.

17. Sep 16, 2006 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid I might come home and find every can of cat food opened if I had a cat with thumbs. :biggrin:

18. Sep 16, 2006 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I totally agree. :approve:

19. Sep 17, 2006 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was pet adoption day at Petsmart in Colorado Springs, too.

I wasn't tempted much, but you have to look. Lots of rabbits. Knowing how much my dog just loves rabbits and squirrels, I could just envision how well that would work. Every lamp, picture, and knick knack would be destroyed within two days (provided it was a fast, clever rabbit, of course). :rofl:

Check with a couple of animal rescue groups. Some use foster care so they don't fill up their own facilities so fast. That would give you a temporary cat just to see how well your cat would adapt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?