Are Western Countries Also Falling for Doomsday Prophecies?

• Thread starter aquitaine
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation explores the belief in the 2012 end of the world prophecy and whether it is unique to the US or present in other western countries. The speaker also questions if there have been studies done on this topic and mentions their personal experiences with hearing about the prophecy. They also mention the idea of religious gullibility in the US and the lack of belief in the prophecy in the UK.
aquitaine
This whole 2012 end of the world nonsense really makes me wonder, is this tendency for the general public in the US to buy into doomsday prophecies unique to the US, or are there also large numbers of people in Europe (or other western countries) who believe in all the doom theories?

Note, I'm not talking about cults, just the tendency for the general public to believe in this stuff. Have there been studies done about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be curious to know too. I'd tend to guess yes, partly because of the relationship with religious gullibility in the US.

Last edited:
I havn't heard of this so i guess not, i have heard a few bits and peices about this kind of thing mailny at school but everyone dismisses it as nonsence. I am from the UK by the way.

Does the "general public" really believe the world is going to end in 2012. I've experienced hearsay of this for a while now and heard a lot of people mentioned they'd also heard of the idea, but I've yet to meet anyone that actually bought into it and believed doomsday was nigh.

1. What is doomerism?

Doomerism is a term used to describe a pessimistic outlook on the future, often characterized by a belief that society is heading towards a catastrophic collapse.

2. What causes tendencies towards doomerism?

Tendencies towards doomerism can be caused by a variety of factors, such as personal experiences with hardship, exposure to apocalyptic media, and a lack of trust in institutions and leaders.

3. Is doomerism a legitimate concern?

While doomerism may be fueled by valid concerns and issues facing our society, it is important to maintain a balanced perspective and not fall into a purely pessimistic mindset. It is important to acknowledge and address potential problems, but also remain open to the possibility of positive change and progress.

4. Can doomerism have a negative impact on mental health?

Yes, tendencies towards doomerism can have a negative impact on mental health if it becomes an all-consuming, overwhelming belief. It can lead to feelings of hopelessness, anxiety, and depression. It is important to seek support and maintain a positive mindset when dealing with doomerism.

5. How can we combat doomerism?

There are various ways to combat doomerism, such as engaging in positive and productive activities, seeking out diverse perspectives and information, and finding a support system. Additionally, taking action towards creating positive change in the world can help combat feelings of hopelessness and pessimism.