1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tends to 1 from?

1. Aug 15, 2005 #1

Wiz

tends to 1 from??

i am confused on this one.....my friend told me that as x->0 ,(sinx)/x tends to 1 from left hand side.......similarly he said something abt tanx/x approaching 1 from right hand side....can anyone please explain this to me??
    thanks..
    wiz

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

[itex]\frac{{\sin x}}{x}[/itex] tends to 1 when x goes to 0 from either left or right, therefore the limit exists and is 1.

Same goes for [itex]\frac{{\tan x}}{x}[/itex], it's valid for both sides so the limit is 1.

Btw, for small x, [itex]\tan \left( x \right) \approx \sin \left( x \right)[/itex]

4. Aug 15, 2005 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A function f approaches a limit L as x approaches a value b from the right hand side if, for every positive number E, you can find a positive number d such that for all x in (a, a + d), |f(x) - L| < E. The same is true for the left hand side, but then you'd want to find a positive number d such that for all x in (a - d, a), |f(x) - L| < E. In simpler terms, numbers on the right hand side are greater than a certain number, which makes sense (on the number line, numbers increase to the right and decrease to the left). Taking a simpler example, try f(x) = 2x. This function approaches 12 as x approaches 6 from the left-hand side (it also approaches 12 as x approaches 6 from the right-hand side, so we simply say that f(x) approaches 12 as x approaches 6). So if you take values for x of 5, 5.5, 5.9, 5.99, 5.999, 5.999999, etc., then your values for f(x) will get closer and closer to 12.

5. Aug 15, 2005 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

This is a common limit.
    in fact it arises in finding the derivative of sine
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sin(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}\cos(x+\frac{h}{2})[/tex]
    the limit can be shown several ways including showing that
    cos(x)<sin(x)/x<1 for |x|<pi/2
    or seeing that for the function f
    [tex]f(x):=\int_0^1 \cos(x t) dt[/tex]
    f is every where continuos and
    f(x)=sin(x)/x for all x except x=0
    (also xf(x)=sin(x))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?