Tennis ball and quantum behaviour

In summary, the quantum system has a very large energy, but it's very small when compared to the total energy of the system.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached it. I'm not sure if I've gone wrong somewhere; I've got an extremely high quantum number, but I guess that should be expected considering we're dealing with macroscopic objects. Could someone kindly check to see if I've got it right so far. And if so, how do I carry out the last part of the question? The part about estimating the smallest fractional change QM allows and are these effects perceptible to us. I'm not quite sure how to tackle that part.

Attachments

• 5.8.jpg
    5.8.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 392
  • u.JPG
    u.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
The image of your work is pretty dark and hard to read. Can you try taking a better photo? Or else scan it. Or maybe do some image processing on the image to lighten it and increase the contrast.

or else just type it into the forum -- that is usually the best.

Hi.
I didn't check the final numerical result but your reasoning and equations are correct and, indeed, n should be very big given the mass and energy involved.
You don't need to mention gravity since the quantum system is one-dimensional, along the direction where the ball is kicked (clearly this whole problem is not rigorous, it's just a way to make you see the scale at which quantum behaviors become noticeable).

For the last part, what would be the change in energy if n change by one unit? how does it compare to the total energy?

Goddar said:
Hi.
I didn't check the final numerical result but your reasoning and equations are correct and, indeed, n should be very big given the mass and energy involved.
You don't need to mention gravity since the quantum system is one-dimensional, along the direction where the ball is kicked (clearly this whole problem is not rigorous, it's just a way to make you see the scale at which quantum behaviors become noticeable).

For the last part, what would be the change in energy if n change by one unit? how does it compare to the total energy?

I let n=1.22*10^35 from n=1.21*10^35. The change in energy is rather miniscule; only out by a few joules. Am I understanding you correctly?

berkeman said:
The image of your work is pretty dark and hard to read. Can you try taking a better photo? Or else scan it. Or maybe do some image processing on the image to lighten it and increase the contrast.

or else just type it into the forum -- that is usually the best.

I apologise for that, how's it now?

Attachments

• gfgh.jpg
    gfgh.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 408
samjohnny said:
I let n=1.22*10^35 from n=1.21*10^35. The change in energy is rather miniscule; only out by a few joules. Am I understanding you correctly?

Let n = 1, so that ΔE = h2/8mL
The change is completely negligible indeed (as 1<<10^35, in fact), so how does the tennis player feel about the difference?

Likes 1 person
Goddar said:
Let n = 1, so that ΔE = h2/8mL
The change is completely negligible indeed (as 1<<10^35, in fact), so how does the tennis player feel about the difference?

Aha now I get it! Thanks a lot :)

1. How does a tennis ball demonstrate quantum behavior?

A tennis ball can demonstrate quantum behavior through its wave-particle duality. This means that it can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties, depending on the situation. For example, when a tennis ball is in motion, it behaves like a particle with a definite position and speed. However, when it bounces off a surface, it behaves like a wave with a spread-out position and a probability of being in a certain location.

2. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and how does it apply to a tennis ball?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This applies to a tennis ball because as it moves, its position and momentum are constantly changing. Therefore, it is impossible to know both of these properties at the same time.

3. Can a tennis ball be in two places at once due to quantum entanglement?

No, a tennis ball cannot be in two places at once due to quantum entanglement. Quantum entanglement refers to the phenomenon where particles are connected in a way that their properties are correlated, even when separated by large distances. However, this does not mean that the particles exist in multiple locations simultaneously. The tennis ball would still only be in one location, but its properties may be linked to another particle in a different location.

4. How does the spin of a tennis ball relate to its quantum behavior?

The spin of a tennis ball is a property that is associated with its quantum behavior. This spin can be either clockwise or counterclockwise, and it is an intrinsic property of the particle. This means that even when the tennis ball is not in motion, it still possesses this spin, which is a part of its quantum behavior.

5. Can quantum mechanics be used to predict the trajectory of a tennis ball?

No, quantum mechanics cannot be used to predict the trajectory of a tennis ball. Quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, and the effects of quantum behavior are only noticeable at this scale. The trajectory of a tennis ball can be predicted using classical mechanics, which describes the motion of macroscopic objects.