What are the key steps for solving a tennis ball impulse problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a tennis ball striking a wall at a 45 degree angle and rebounding with the same speed. It is suggested to break the velocity into components and use the impulse-momentum theorem to calculate the impulse given to the ball. It is also mentioned that there would be no effect on the vertical component of the velocity if there is no friction. The person asking for help also mentions wanting to insert a diagram.
jacy
hi,
I am trying to solve this problem.

A tennis ball of mass m=0.060kg and speed v= 25m/s strikes a wall at a 45 degree angle and rebounds with the same speed at 45 degree. What is the impulse given to the ball?

Do i need to break velocity into its components. Please suggest me a hint, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you do need to break velocity into components. If there is no friction (a sensible assuption in this case), would the rebound affect the vertical component of the velocity?

Hope this helps,
Sam

Once you break it into components use the impulse-momentum theorem:

[tex]\int\mathbf{F}\,dt=m\mathbf{v}_f-m\mathbf{v}_i[/tex]

impulse

BerryBoy said:
Yes you do need to break velocity into components. If there is no friction (a sensible assuption in this case), would the rebound affect the vertical component of the velocity?
Hope this helps,
Sam

Thanks for replying. I wish i could draw the diagram. Is there a way that i can insert the diagram. Plz let me know

What is a "Tennis ball impulse problem"?

A "Tennis ball impulse problem" refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the impulse, or change in momentum, of a tennis ball after it is struck by a tennis racket. This type of problem is commonly used to demonstrate the application of the laws of motion and conservation of momentum.

What is the equation used to solve a "Tennis ball impulse problem"?

The equation used to solve a "Tennis ball impulse problem" is: Impulse = Force * Time. This equation is derived from the definition of impulse, which is the product of force and time. In the context of a tennis ball, the force is the impact of the racket on the ball and the time is the duration of the impact.

How is the impulse of a tennis ball affected by the mass of the ball?

The impulse of a tennis ball is not affected by its mass. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the impulse of a tennis ball remains constant regardless of its mass. This means that a heavier tennis ball will have the same impulse as a lighter tennis ball when struck with the same force for the same amount of time.

What factors can affect the impulse of a tennis ball?

The impulse of a tennis ball can be affected by factors such as the force of impact, the duration of impact, and the angle at which the ball is struck. These factors can change the velocity and direction of the ball, which in turn affects the impulse. Other factors such as air resistance and spin on the ball can also influence the impulse.

Why is the "Tennis ball impulse problem" important in physics?

The "Tennis ball impulse problem" is important in physics because it allows us to understand the concept of impulse and its relationship to force and time. It also demonstrates the conservation of momentum, which is a fundamental principle in physics. By solving this type of problem, we can better understand the behavior of objects in motion and their interactions with one another.