Is Tensile Force the Same as Tension in Physics Calculations?

In summary: Also, kg m/s-2 is not the same as kg m/s2. Have you studied algebra yet? The laws of exponents?In summary, the equation you used for calculating the tensile force was incorrect as it included a combination of kg and m/s2 instead of just kg. After correcting the equation to (420kg x 9.8ms-2), you were able to correctly calculate the tensile force as 4.37kg m/s-2. Remember to be careful with equations and units in order to avoid making errors in calculations.
jbrandon
This question is confusing me, trying to find an equation for "tensile force" has left me confused since I've found no equation for it just for tension, tensile stress and tensile strain, just wanting to make sure I've not missed anything or done it incorrectly

1. Homework Statement

At a building site, an iron girder of mass 420 kg is suspended from a crane
by a steel cable. Assume that the cable has a circular cross-section of
diameter 25 mm.

Determine the tensile force in Newtons on the cable in kN to 2 decimal
places. (Take the acceleration due to gravity as 9.8 m s−2 and ignore the
mass of the cable).

Homework Equations

i calculated it as tension assuming tensile force means tension[/B]

T = mg x ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(420kg x 9.8ms2) x (420kg x 9.8ms2) = 8232 kg ms2

which i then converted to Newtons = 8232N (8.23Kn)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not correct. The tension in the cable is just equal to the weight of the girder.

Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. The tension in the cable is just equal to the weight of the girder.

what about the gravitational force ? also is tension the same as tensile force or are they 2 separate measurements ?

jbrandon said:
what about the gravitational force ?
The gravitational force is the same thing as the weight.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The gravitational force is the same thing as the weight.

Chet
so basically the tensile force is 420N or 0.42Kn, are tension and tensile force 2 different measurements or the same ?

jbrandon said:

Homework Equations

i calculated it as tension assuming tensile force means tension[/B]

T = mg x ma

It's not clear where you got this equation. BTW, it's meaningless.

The Attempt at a Solution

(420kg x 9.8ms2) x (420kg x 9.8ms2) = 8232 kg ms2

which i then converted to Newtons = 8232N (8.23Kn)

(420 × 9.8) × (420 × 9.8) = (420 × 9.8)2 ≠ 8232

Also, what are the units here? Hint: they're not kg⋅ms2

Remember, g = 9.8 ms-2, which is not the same as 9.8 ms2. Things like - signs and × signs are important.

jbrandon said:
so basically the tensile force is 420N or 0.42Kn, are tension and tensile force 2 different measurements or the same ?
They are different terms for the same thing.

Chet

SteamKing said:
It's not clear where you got this equation. BTW, it's meaningless.(420 × 9.8) × (420 × 9.8) = (420 × 9.8)2 ≠ 8232

Also, what are the units here? Hint: they're not kg⋅ms2

Remember, g = 9.8 ms-2, which is not the same as 9.8 ms2. Things like - signs and × signs are important.

The formula I used was

T = mg + ma

T = tension, N, kg-m/s2

m = mass, kg

g = gravitational force, 9.8 m/s2

a = acceleration, m/s2

jbrandon said:
The formula I used was

T = mg + ma

T = tension, N, kg-m/s2

m = mass, kg

g = gravitational force, 9.8 m/s2

a = acceleration, m/s2

Using × in place of + suggests something else. × means multiplication. + means addition.

The formula T = mg + ma should be used only when there is some other acceleration a acting on m besides gravity g.

Sorry I didn't catch that I'd used x rather than +, I used + In my actual calculation.

So using 9.8ms-2 and not applying gravity as the acceleration would give me

(420kg x 9.8ms-2) + (420kg x 0) =

Or since there is no acceleration not include it at all like this?

(420kg x 9.8ms-2) + 420kg =

jbrandon said:
Sorry I didn't catch that I'd used x rather than +, I used + In my actual calculation.

So using 9.8ms-2 and not applying gravity as the acceleration would give me

(420kg x 9.8ms-2) + (420kg x 0) =

Or since there is no acceleration not include it at all like this?

(420kg x 9.8ms-2) + 420kg =
According to this calculation, you're saying that 420 kg × 0 = 420. Is that some kinda Common Core math?

SteamKing said:
According to this calculation, you're saying that 420 kg × 0 = 420. Is that some kinda Common Core math?

Where did I say that? This is the new equation I've come up with following the advice from this thread

jbrandon said:
Where did I say that? This is the new equation I've come up with following the advice from this thread
Compare you final two equations in post #10.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Compare you final two equations in post #10.

Chet
Those are 2 different equations, the first is where I've left acceleration in and the second is where I've removed it leaving only mass

jbrandon said:
Those are 2 different equations, the first is where I've left acceleration in and the second is where I've removed it leaving only mass
In that case, the first equation is correct and the second equation is incorrect.

jbrandon said:
Yeah, but force = mass × acceleration

Setting acceleration to zero means the force = 0, by definition.

You can't be careless with equations, math, or units. These will cost you points on exams and assignments when studying physics if you don't make sure they're all correct.

SteamKing said:
Yeah, but force = mass × acceleration

Setting acceleration to zero means the force = 0, by definition.

You can't be careless with equations, math, or units. These will cost you points on exams and assignments when studying physics if you don't make sure they're all correct.

This is why I'm here to gain a better understanding and learn

So the correct equation would be

(420kg x 9.8ms-2) + (420kg x 0) = 4.37kg m/s-2

jbrandon said:
This is why I'm here to gain a better understanding and learn

So the correct equation would be

(420kg x 9.8ms-2) + (420kg x 0) = 4.37kg m/s-2
I'm not sure how you can multiply 420 kg by 9.8 m/s2 and wind up with 4.37 kg-m/s2. That doesn't make sense arithmetically.

Also, kg m/s-2 is not the same as kg m/s2. Have you studied algebra yet? The laws of exponents?

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure how you can multiply 420 kg by 9.8 m/s2 and wind up with 4.37 kg-m/s2. That doesn't make sense arithmetically.

Also, kg m/s-2 is not the same as kg m/s2. Have you studied algebra yet? The laws of exponents?
I haven't studied any algebra yet this is the first month of my distance learning degree, I multiplied it by 9.8m/s-2 [/SUP ] to get that answer

jbrandon said:
I haven't studied any algebra yet this is the first month of my distance learning degree, I multiplied it by 9.8m/s-2 [/SUP ] to get that answer
Well, 420 x 9.8 ≠ 4.37

You should be able to estimate what the answer should be without a calculator.

SteamKing said:
Well, 420 x 9.8 ≠ 4.37

You should be able to estimate what the answer should be without a calculator.
The calculation I used wasw 420 x 9.8-2

So the correct way is the way you've presented to me?

jbrandon said:
The calculation I used wasw 420 x 9.8-2

So the correct way is the way you've presented to me?
You must learn to distinguish the units (ms-2) from the magnitudes (the numbers, like 9.8 or 420).

If you see 9.8 ms-2 written, that means 9.8 meters per second per second, not 9.8-2 meter seconds. If you're going to study physics, it is essential that you learn what units go with what physical quantities. For example, acceleration always has units of ##\frac{distance}{time^2}##, or distance⋅time-2 as it is sometimes written.

If you want to indicate that something happens to the magnitude of a given unit, then you must show that operation directly on the magnitude.

For example, the area of a square is the square of the length of the sides, or A = L2. If a certain square has a side which measures 4 meters, or L = 4 m, then you would show the calculation of the area of the square as

A = L2 = 42 m2 = 16 m2, or sometimes
A = (4 m)2 = 16 m2

This is why I had asked in a previous post if you had studied algebra or the laws of exponents. A lot of these misconceptions would have been prevented from forming in your mind by this additional study.

SteamKing said:
You must learn to distinguish the units (ms-2) from the magnitudes (the numbers, like 9.8 or 420).

If you see 9.8 ms-2 written, that means 9.8 meters per second per second, not 9.8-2 meter seconds. If you're going to study physics, it is essential that you learn what units go with what physical quantities. For example, acceleration always has units of ##\frac{distance}{time^2}##, or distance⋅time-2 as it is sometimes written.

If you want to indicate that something happens to the magnitude of a given unit, then you must show that operation directly on the magnitude.

For example, the area of a square is the square of the length of the sides, or A = L2. If a certain square has a side which measures 4 meters, or L = 4 m, then you would show the calculation of the area of the square as

A = L2 = 42 m2 = 16 m2, or sometimes
A = (4 m)2 = 16 m2

This is why I had asked in a previous post if you had studied algebra or the laws of exponents. A lot of these misconceptions would have been prevented from forming in your mind by this additional study.

Thank you for the explanation, I have just got the mathematics for engineering book so I'll be studying that alongside my actual study to try and bring myself up to speed

1. What is tensile force calculation?

Tensile force calculation is the process of determining the amount of force required to pull apart or stretch a material until it breaks.

2. How is tensile force calculated?

Tensile force is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the material. This gives the stress, which is then multiplied by the original cross-sectional area to get the tensile force.

3. What are the units of tensile force?

The units of tensile force are typically expressed in Newtons (N) or pounds-force (lbf). However, other units such as kilonewtons (kN) or kilopounds-force (kip) may also be used.

4. What factors can affect tensile force calculation?

Some factors that can affect tensile force calculation include the type of material, its thickness, the temperature, and the rate at which the force is applied.

5. Why is tensile force calculation important?

Tensile force calculation is important because it allows engineers and scientists to determine the strength and durability of materials. This information is crucial in designing and testing structures, products, and materials for various applications.