Tensile stress in perforated steel plate

In summary, the rivet carries a tensile load of 8kN and the perforated plate carries a shear stress of 31.43MPa.
DevonZA

Homework Statement

Two lengths of steel plate 100mm wide and 15mm thick are riveted together by a single 18mm diameter rivet. If the joint carries a tensile load of 8kN calculate:
a) The shear stress in the rivet
b) The tensile stress in the perforated plate

Homework Equations

stress = force / cross sectional area

The Attempt at a Solution

a) stress = force / cross sectional area
= 8x10^3 / pi/4(0.018)^2
= 31.43MPa

This is the answer given in the textbook so I am satisfied it is correct.

b) This is where I am stuck.
The given answer is 6.51MPa.

I thought maybe if I use 100mmX15mm (1500mm) as the area for the plate and subtract the area of the 18mm diameter rivet (pi/4(0.018)^2) I could divide the 8kN force (although this is the tensile load of the joint) by this area and get the stress for the plate.

However if I do the above:

8x10^3 / [(1.5x10^-3)-pi/4(0.018)^2]
= 6.42MPa

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
DevonZA said:
I thought maybe if I use 100mmX15mm (1500mm) as the area for the plate and subtract the area of the 18mm diameter rivet (pi/4(0.018)^2)...
Those areas are not oriented in the same plane. One is perpendicular to the plate surface, the other parallel to the plate surface.

What's the minimum cross sectional area of the plate? Note that would be the area of the section (so a slice through contiguous material).

gneill said:
Those areas are not oriented in the same plane. One is perpendicular to the plate surface, the other parallel to the plate surface.

What's the minimum cross sectional area of the plate? Note that would be the area of the section (so a slice through contiguous material).

100mmX15mm?

DevonZA said:
100mmX15mm?
Nope. Suppose you make your cross section through where the rivet is. How much plate material is sliced?

gneill said:
Nope. Suppose you make your cross section through where the rivet is. How much plate material is sliced?

Um if each plate is 100mm wide and 15mm thick then I would say 100mmX15mm - 2X15mmX18mm for the hole
2(100x15)-(2)(15)(18) = 2460mm^2

Not sure if I am visualizing this correctly..

Not sure why you're multiplying by two. You want to deal with only one plate.

gneill said:
Not sure why you're multiplying by two. You want to deal with only one plate.

Okay so 100x15mm - 15x18mm = 1230mm^2

Then stress = force / cross sectional area
= 8x10^3 / 1.23x10^-3
= 6.5MPa

:woot: thank you

Likes gneill

1. What is tensile stress in perforated steel plate?

Tensile stress in perforated steel plate refers to the amount of force per unit area that is being applied to the steel plate in a direction that is pulling it apart. This stress can cause the plate to deform or even break if it exceeds the yield strength of the material.

2. How is tensile stress calculated in perforated steel plate?

Tensile stress in perforated steel plate is calculated by dividing the force being applied to the plate by its cross-sectional area. The resulting unit is typically in pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What factors can affect tensile stress in perforated steel plate?

There are several factors that can affect tensile stress in perforated steel plate, including the type and thickness of the steel, the size and shape of the perforations, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the presence of any pre-existing defects or imperfections in the material.

4. How does tensile stress in perforated steel plate impact its strength and stability?

Tensile stress can significantly impact the strength and stability of perforated steel plate. If the stress exceeds the material's yield strength, it can cause permanent deformation or even failure of the plate. Additionally, perforations can act as stress concentrators, making the plate more susceptible to cracking or breaking under tension.

5. How can tensile stress in perforated steel plate be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce tensile stress in perforated steel plate, including using thicker or stronger materials, increasing the size and number of perforations to distribute the stress more evenly, and adding reinforcement or support structures to the plate. Additionally, proper design and installation techniques can help to minimize stress concentrations and ensure the stability of the plate under tension.