• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Tensile stress

• Thread starter chetzread
  • Start date

Homework Statement

can someone explain about part b (tensile stress) here? in which way does the stress act?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

FromW wikipedia, tensile stress refres to the stress to break a rope....How does it related to the case above?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

can someone explain about part b (tensile stress) here? in which way does the stress act?
You really can't look at figure E1.7 and puzzle this out?

The Attempt at a Solution

FromW wikipedia, tensile stress refres to the stress to break a rope....How does it related to the case above?
Well, can you break a rope by pushing the ends together?

Have you ever held the ends of a rope and pulled them apart?

This is stuff kids learn when they're about 8 years old.

You really can't look at figure E1.7 and puzzle this out?

Well, can you break a rope by pushing the ends together?

Have you ever held the ends of a rope and pulled them apart?

This is stuff kids learn when they're about 8 years old.
ok,it's pulling stress.....
i dont understand the area 7.85(110-20), can you explain about it?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You have to start at part a) of the problem. That's where the thickness of the plates is established (t = 7.85 mm)

The plate is 110 mm wide and has a 20-mm diameter rivet punched through the middle. What's the net width of material where the rivet is located?

These are fairly simple problems to figure out from the diagrams given. If you have this much difficulty now, it's not going to look good on any exams you'll have to take.

You have to start at part a) of the problem. That's where the thickness of the plates is established (t = 7.85 mm)

The plate is 110 mm wide and has a 20-mm diameter rivet punched through the middle. What's the net width of material where the rivet is located?

These are fairly simple problems to figure out from the diagrams given. If you have this much difficulty now, it's not going to look good on any exams you'll have to take.
i'm confused between tensile stress and bearing stress now, arent they the same?

Homework Statement

To answer your first question, simply the largest tensile stress can be found at the middle. Why? Because this is the part where most of the expansion takes place. You seem confused at this
It's because the formula for area here is (d)(t) where d is diameter and t is thickness thus (110-20) for the remaining area and t is (20)

To answer your first question, simply the largest tensile stress can be found at the middle. Why? Because this is the part where most of the expansion takes place. You seem confused at this

It's because the formula for area here is (d)(t) where d is diameter and t is thickness thus (110-20) for the remaining area and t is (20)
why
Because this is the part where most of the expansion takes place?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i'm confused between tensile stress and bearing stress now, arent they the same?
If these two stresses were the same, there would be no need to call them by different names.

The bearing stress is created where the body of the rivet shank "bears" on the plate material.

Say when you pull the two plates , where is the part the first to move ?

Say when you pull the two plates , where is the part the first to move ?
the part closer to the force

If these two stresses were the same, there would be no need to call them by different names.

The bearing stress is created where the body of the rivet shank "bears" on the plate material.
so, tensile stress is acted perpendicularly to the surface?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
so, tensile stress is acted perpendicularly to the surface?
Depends on which surface you are taking about. Please be more specific and use dimensions if that helps.

Depends on which surface you are taking about. Please be more specific and use dimensions if that helps.
i mean this. Force P is acting perpendicularly to cross section area = t(110-20), is it correct?

Attachments

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i mean this. Force P is acting perpendicularly to cross section area = t(110-20), is it correct?
Yes, that appears to be correct.