1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension, acceleration, pulley

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cat is stuck in a tree. You are designated with the job to get it out, yet you do not want to climb the tree, because you may get stuck as well. Instead you set up a pulley system. A rope (consider it massless) runs from the seat you sit on over an ideal pulley and then to your hand. You pull on the loose end of the rope with a force of 348 N. You weigh 612 N and the seat you sit on weighs 16.0 N. (a) What is your acceleration? (b) What force does the seat exert on you?
    2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    t - mg = ma
    3. The attempt at a solution
    ok so i found the mass to be 64.2 kg
    the combined force weight is 628 N
    i thought the tension would be 348 N but I'm not getting the right answer with that

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That is the tension in the rope.

Careful here. The rope pulls on the person and on the seat.

(Hint: For part a, treat the person+seat as a single system. What forces act?)

4. Nov 19, 2015 #3
    i did that and i got -4.5 but the answer should be 1.06

5. Nov 19, 2015 #4

Doc Al

Show what you did. What forces act on "person+seat"?

6. Nov 19, 2015 #5
    well they have a combined force weight of 628 N so 348 N - 628 N = 64.1 (i messed up the first time)a
    which equals -4.3

7. Nov 19, 2015 #6

Doc Al

You have an upward force of only 348 N. But how many rope segments pull up on the system?

8. Nov 19, 2015 #7
    one

9. Nov 19, 2015 #8

Doc Al

Nope. The rope pulls up twice. Once on the person; once on the seat.

10. Nov 19, 2015 #9
    ok doubling the force tension gives me the right answer but I'm confused why that is. I don't understand why it pulls up twice even though its only connected to the chair.

11. Nov 19, 2015 #10

Doc Al

Ah, but it's not only connected to the chair. It's also connected to the person, who is pulling up on one end of the rope. (One end connects to the seat; the other end, to the person.)

Try this: Draw an imaginary box around the "person + seat". How many rope segments connect to that box?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted