Tension and Acceleration in a Pulley System

In summary, the problem involves two crates connected by a light string over a frictionless pulley. One crate has a mass of 10.0 kg and the other has a mass of 5.00 kg, with the smaller one lying on a smooth incline of angle 40.0°. The task is to find the acceleration of the smaller crate and the tension in the string. The forces acting on the smaller crate on the incline are the weight of the crate and the tension in the string. Some guidance is given to set up the force equations and take into account the direction of the forces.
wowdusk

Homework Statement

Two packing crates of masses m1 = 10.0 kg and m2 = 5.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley . The 5.00 kg crate lies on a smooth incline of angle 40.0°. Find the acceleration of the 5.00 kg crate and the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

i know there is only 1 tension becuase they area attached by a frictionless string, i just don't know where to go from there

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the forces acting on the 5 kg block on the incline?

i told of everything the question gave me for info

Like, what forces act on the crate placed on the smooth incline?
Write the force equations and calculate.

thats where i am stuck...I'm kinda new to this tension stuff

Ok, you must have read that tension always acts away from the body. The weight of the body will also have an effect on its motion, in this case. Keeping these points in mind, work out the possibilities and inform us of the developments.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. It is a reactionary force that occurs when an object is being pulled in opposite directions.

2. How is tension related to acceleration?

Tension can affect the acceleration of an object in two ways. First, if the tension is the only force acting on the object, it will accelerate in the direction of the tension. Second, if there are other forces acting on the object, the tension can contribute to the overall acceleration of the object.

3. What factors affect the tension on an object?

The tension on an object is affected by the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the angle at which the force is applied. The type of material the object is made of can also affect tension.

4. How can tension be calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object in the direction of the tension.

5. What are some real-life examples of tension and acceleration?

Some real-life examples of tension and acceleration include a person pulling on a rope to lift a heavy object, a car accelerating forward due to the tension in its engine, or a rollercoaster accelerating down a steep drop due to the tension in the track.