Calculating Tension & Buoyancy in Water

In summary: Archimedes principle states that if a weight is submerged in a fluid, the buoyant force is inversely proportional to the weight of the fluid. So, if a weight is submerged in water, the buoyant force is less than if the weight was not submerged.Thank you very much for answering. Can you articulate Archimedes Principle? If you can state the principle, you should have no trouble determining the buoyant force.
Boxlife27
Hello, if I were to suspend a rubber stopper into a graduated cylinder filled with water, with the stopper half in the h2o and half out of it, how would i calculate the tension in the string? Experimentally, i would collect the displaced volume, density (1000kg/m3), and mass of stopper. I am only in AP physics B, so i cannot use an extremely intense formula. I know buoyant force is rho x volume x gravity and weight is mass x gravity obviously. Any help on this soon would be great. Thank you!
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1385065647.393557.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces are acting on the rubber stopper? What is causing the tension in the string in the first place?

Have you been taught to use free body diagrams? If so, you should have no trouble answering SteamKing's question.

Yes I know how to use fbds, however only half of the rubber stopper is in the water. It is not submerged. For the submerged experiment, I would do T equals W minus Force buoyancy. But when only half of the stopper is in the water (and it is not floating, it's being suspended by the string), how would this equation change? Thank you

Archimedes Principle

Boxlife27 said:
Yes I know how to use fbds, however only half of the rubber stopper is in the water. It is not submerged. For the submerged experiment, I would do T equals W minus Force buoyancy. But when only half of the stopper is in the water (and it is not floating, it's being suspended by the string), how would this equation change? Thank you
If it's only half-submerged, that only affects the magnitude of the buoyant force on the stopper. It doesn't affect qualitatively the free body diagram or the identification of the forces acting on the stopper.

Thank you very much for answering. How would the magnitude be affected? Would the buoyant force be in half? Or something of that nature.. Thanks

Boxlife27 said:
Thank you very much for answering. How would the magnitude be affected? Would the buoyant force be in half? Or something of that nature.. Thanks
Can you articulate Archimedes Principle? If you can state the principle, you should have no trouble determining the buoyant force.

Oh yes, I was overthinking it. Thank you all for the help

1. How do you calculate tension in water?

Tension in water can be calculated by using the formula T = ρVg, where T is the tension, ρ is the density of the water, V is the volume of the object submerged in water, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the formula for buoyancy in water?

The formula for buoyancy in water is B = ρVg, where B is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the water, V is the volume of the object submerged in water, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This force acts in the opposite direction of the weight of the object, causing it to float.

3. How do you determine the buoyant force acting on an object?

The buoyant force acting on an object can be determined by multiplying the volume of the object submerged in water by the density of the water and the acceleration due to gravity. This force acts in the opposite direction of the weight of the object, causing it to float.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy in water?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its buoyancy in water. Objects with a larger surface area will experience greater buoyant force due to the increased amount of water displaced. Objects with a curved or streamlined shape will experience less resistance from the water, resulting in greater buoyancy.

5. What factors can affect the tension and buoyancy in water?

The tension and buoyancy in water can be affected by several factors, including the density and volume of the object, the density of the water, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as the shape and surface area of the object, as well as the depth and temperature of the water, can also have an impact on these calculations.