1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension and centripital motion help!

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Two identical blocks are tied together with a string and placed along the same radius of a turntable that is spinning about its center. The inner block is 3 cm from the center and the outer block is 6 cm from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the turntable and the blocks is µs = 0.74, and the string is taut.

I have determined that w = 12.7 rad/s

Now suppose that the blocks each have a mass m = 35 g. For the value of w you just found, what is the tension in the string?

For some reason, I cannot seem to get the right answer. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show your work and how you solved for the tension and we can take a look.
    The same equations used to solve for [itex]\omega[/itex] (the maximum rotational speed without slipping) will include the tension.

4. Sep 23, 2005 #3
    my equations i used were:
    1) T - umg = m R1 w^2
    2) -T - umg = m R2 w^2

i was able to get w, but then i plug values back in and its not accepting my answer for T as being correct. i have no idea what im doing wrong. please help!

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4

Doc Al

For one thing, your signs are messed up in those equations. Choose a sign convention: for example, make towards the center positive, away from the center negative. Rewrite those equations accordingly. (The way they are written now, [itex]\omega^2[/itex] is negative!)

6. Sep 23, 2005 #5
    ok i realized i typed in the wrong ones...i had those at first, the new ones are
    1) -T + umg = m r1 w^2
    2) T + umg = m r2 w^2

i believe that is how i got 12.7 for w (i have so much work here and half of it is wrong, im not sure which is which anymore). I just tried solving for T though and it is still not right. ah im so confused now!

7. Sep 23, 2005 #6
    Ok maybe those equations aren't right either...I can't seem to get the 12.7 for w again, tho I know that is right. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore!

8. Sep 23, 2005 #7

Doc Al

Those equations are correct. Show how you solved for T and what you got.

(To find [itex]\omega[/itex], start by adding those two equations.)

9. Sep 23, 2005 #8
    to find T i had:

T = umg - m r1 w^2
    as well as
    T = m r2 w^2 -umg

m=.035kg
    r1=.03m
    r2=.06m
    w=12.7 rad/sec
    u=.74
    g=9.81

i plug those in and get
    T=.0847

which apparently is right...i had that before i dont know y it wouldnt take it as being correct...thanks for all you help!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?