Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tension and centripital motion help!

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    Two identical blocks are tied together with a string and placed along the same radius of a turntable that is spinning about its center. The inner block is 3 cm from the center and the outer block is 6 cm from the center. The coefficient of static friction between the turntable and the blocks is ┬Ás = 0.74, and the string is taut.

I have determined that w = 12.7 rad/s

Now suppose that the blocks each have a mass m = 35 g. For the value of w you just found, what is the tension in the string?

For some reason, I cannot seem to get the right answer. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show your work and how you solved for the tension and we can take a look.
    The same equations used to solve for [itex]\omega[/itex] (the maximum rotational speed without slipping) will include the tension.

4. Sep 23, 2005 #3
    my equations i used were:
    1) T - umg = m R1 w^2
    2) -T - umg = m R2 w^2

i was able to get w, but then i plug values back in and its not accepting my answer for T as being correct. i have no idea what im doing wrong. please help!

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4

Doc Al

For one thing, your signs are messed up in those equations. Choose a sign convention: for example, make towards the center positive, away from the center negative. Rewrite those equations accordingly. (The way they are written now, [itex]\omega^2[/itex] is negative!)

6. Sep 23, 2005 #5
    ok i realized i typed in the wrong ones...i had those at first, the new ones are
    1) -T + umg = m r1 w^2
    2) T + umg = m r2 w^2

i believe that is how i got 12.7 for w (i have so much work here and half of it is wrong, im not sure which is which anymore). I just tried solving for T though and it is still not right. ah im so confused now!

7. Sep 23, 2005 #6
    Ok maybe those equations aren't right either...I can't seem to get the 12.7 for w again, tho I know that is right. I have no idea what I'm doing anymore!

8. Sep 23, 2005 #7

Doc Al

Those equations are correct. Show how you solved for T and what you got.

(To find [itex]\omega[/itex], start by adding those two equations.)

9. Sep 23, 2005 #8
    to find T i had:

T = umg - m r1 w^2
    as well as
    T = m r2 w^2 -umg

m=.035kg
    r1=.03m
    r2=.06m
    w=12.7 rad/sec
    u=.74
    g=9.81

i plug those in and get
    T=.0847

which apparently is right...i had that before i dont know y it wouldnt take it as being correct...thanks for all you help!!!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook