Tension and Equilibrium: Hanging sign

In summary: You will have two equations, two unknowns. Solve them.In summary, when calculating the tension in each cable for a 30 kg neon sign suspended by two cables and with three 5.0 kg cats on it, one should find the torque of each weight about the reference axis and add them up. This will result in two equations and two unknowns, which can then be solved to find the tensions in each cable.
cassie123

Homework Statement

A 30 kg neon sign is suspended by two cables, as shown. Three neighbourhood cats (5.0 kg each) find the sign a comfortable place. Calculate the tension in each cable when the cats are in the positions shown.

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 11.28.03 PM.png

Ft1 = tension in left cable
Ft2 = tension in right cable
T=torque

Homework Equations

Xcm=(M1*x1+M2*x2+...)/Mtotal
ƩF(y) = 0
Ʃτ = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Xcm = (5.0kg)(0.2m) + (30kg)(1m) + (5.0kg)(1.8m) + (5.0kg)(2.0m) / 45kg = 1.11 m from the left edge of the sign.

With left hand cable as reference point:
ΣT = Ft1*(0) + Ft2(1.6 m) - (45kg)(9.80 m/s^2)(1.11m-0.2m)=0
Ft2 = (45kg)(9.80)(0.91m) / 1.6 m = 250.82 N , 2.5 x10^2 N

∑Fy = Ft1 + Ft2 = mg
Ft1 = (45kg)(9.80m/s^2) - 250.82 N = 190.1 N 1.9 x10^2 N

I feel as though though I should somehow be taking into about the vertical distribution of the weight on the sign using Ycm but I'm not sure if I need to or how to go about doing that.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should find Ycm too .

τ= r × F = r F sin(θ) where θ is angle between r and F .
Com is not at the top surface of the sign and so the torque of mg is is not horizontal distance multiplied by mg .

cassie123 said:
I feel as though though I should somehow be taking into about the vertical distribution of the weight on the sign using Ycm
No need. In fact, there's no benefit in finding Xcm either. Just sum the torques from the different weights.

Qwertywerty said:
the torque of mg is is not horizontal distance multiplied by mg .
Yes it is. The horizontal distance is the perpendicular distance from the reference axis to the line of action of the force.

Haruspex , with regard to your two points , obviously calculating resultant of all initially is not required .

However , to your second , no it is not . The force of gravity acts at a point below the point from which torque is balanced . So only one component of M(resultant)g produces a torque .

Qwertywerty said:
Haruspex , with regard to your two points , obviously calculating resultant of all initially is not required .

However , to your second , no it is not . The force of gravity acts at a point below the point from which torque is balanced . So only one component of M(resultant)g produces a torque .
The point of action is not crucial. What matters for torque is the line of action.
See https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-moments/

Ok I think I just made a mistake .

τ = r⊥ × F
or r × F ⊥ .

You were saying r⊥×F and I r × F⊥ .Please excuse my mistake . I wasn't thinking clearly .

Last edited:
haruspex said:
No need. In fact, there's no benefit in finding Xcm either. Just sum the torques from the different weights..

Thanks for your reply! Does this mean that where I used (1.11m-0.2m) as the distance in the torque equation for the sign, I should have just used (1.0m-0.2m)?

And Qwertywerty thanks for adding your thoughts as well!

cassie123 said:
Thanks for your reply! Does this mean that where I used (1.11m-0.2m) as the distance in the torque equation for the sign, I should have just used (1.0m-0.2m)?.

Nevermind, I gave this way a shot and then the tensions come out as equal. Which wouldn't make sense.

cassie123 said:
Thanks for your reply! Does this mean that where I used (1.11m-0.2m) as the distance in the torque equation for the sign, I should have just used (1.0m-0.2m)?
I mean, for each force, find its torque about the reference axis (vertical force times horizontal displacement) and add these up. Be careful with signs. Equate the result to zero.

1. What is tension and equilibrium?

Tension refers to the pulling force applied to an object, while equilibrium is the state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net movement.

2. How does a hanging sign demonstrate tension and equilibrium?

A hanging sign is a good example of tension and equilibrium because it is supported by two or more ropes or chains that are pulling in opposite directions, creating a balanced force that keeps the sign in place.

3. What factors affect the tension in a hanging sign?

The weight of the sign, the length and angle of the ropes or chains, and the force of gravity are all factors that can affect the tension in a hanging sign.

4. How can I calculate the tension in a hanging sign?

The tension in a hanging sign can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is tension, m is the mass of the sign, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. What happens if the tension in a hanging sign is not balanced?

If the tension in a hanging sign is not balanced, it will result in a net force that will cause the sign to move in the direction of the greater force. This can cause the sign to swing or fall off its support.