How Do You Calculate the Angle Theta1 for Equilibrium in a Two-Cable System?

In summary, the net force in both the x and y direction must be 0 for the system to remain at rest. Using the equations \SigmaFx=0 and \SigmaFy=0, we can find the unknown angles \Theta1 and \Theta2. By squaring both sides of the equation T1cos\Theta1=T2cos\Theta2 and using the hint sin^2\Theta + cos^2\Theta = 1, we can solve for \Theta1 and then find \Theta2.
wmrunner24

Homework Statement

Hint: sin^2 [tex]\Theta[/tex] + cos^2[tex]\Theta[/tex] = 1 .
Consider the 600 N weight held by two
cables shown below. The left-hand cable had
tension 440 N and makes an angle of [tex]\Theta[/tex]2 with
the ceiling. The right-hand cable had tension
480 N and makes an angle of [tex]\Theta[/tex]1 with the
ceiling. What is the angle [tex]\Theta[/tex]1 which the right-
hand cable makes with respect to the ceiling?
Answer in units of ◦.

Physics3.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I understand all of the concepts perfectly well in order to complete this problem. The net force in both the x and y direction must be 0 in order for the system to remain at rest. Thus:

T1sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]1+T2sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]2=mg
T1cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]1=T2cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]2

In these two equations there are two unknowns: the two [tex]\Theta[/tex]s. So, if I solve for one, I can find the other. However, the issue here is the algebra. I'm not sure how to solve when I have cosine nested in arcsine, and such. Usually, I would turn to my TI-89 Titanium to solve this but it freezes. So, how am I to proceed? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For this equation

T1cosθ1=T2cosθ2

Try squaring both sides and then use the hint to get a new equation in terms of sine.

Genius. Worked great. Thanks a bunch.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How is tension related to equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in equilibrium, the forces acting on it must be balanced. Tension is one of these forces and is often present in systems where objects are suspended or connected by strings or cables.

3. How do you calculate tension in a system?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. Alternatively, tension can also be calculated by summing all of the forces acting on an object and setting them equal to zero.

4. What happens to the tension in a system if one of the forces acting on it changes?

If one of the forces acting on a system changes, the tension will also change in order to maintain equilibrium. For example, if the weight of an object suspended by a string increases, the tension in the string will also increase in order to balance out the forces.

5. Can tension exist in a stationary object?

Yes, tension can exist in a stationary object as long as there are forces acting on it from opposite ends. As long as the forces are balanced, the object will remain in equilibrium and the tension will remain constant.