1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension and Force

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    Two buckets of sand hand from opposite ends of a rope that passes over an ideal pulley. One bucket is full and weighs 118 N; the other is only partly filled and weighs 58 N. After the buckets are released and allowed to move what is the tension in the rope

I drew a force diagram but all I have are the two forces that are given to me. I'm not sure what other forces I need to put in to solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

(1) use the template
    (2) show your work

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Sum all forces in the y direction on your FBD(more than just 118 and 58). Just to be clear do you know what 118N and 58N are forces of? You will need to know this.

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4
    Call T the tension in the rope, and do a free body diagram on each of the buckets, along with a vertical 2nd law force balance on each of the buckets. Eliminate T between the two force balances. How are the accelerations of the two buckets related?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted