1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension and sliding rod

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I am thinking about this problem, and what I don't understand is how at that point A, it is below the x-z plane, but it is not given how far below it is. If I knew, I could solve for the tension in the y-direction and set it equal to the weight.

I must be able to use c and 8 in. to get me closer to that distance below the x-z plane, but I'm not sure how

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

use 3-D Pythagoras to calculate how far below the x-z plane the mass is each time. remember, the two masses are 18" apart.

If you don't understand 3-D Pythagoras, use normal Pythagoras on the 8" and c to find the direct distance across that void, the normal Pythagoras with the 18" cable/rod (or what ever it was) to calculate how far below the x-z plane A was in each case.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  4. Sep 8, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If (xA, yA, zA) and (xB, yB, zB) are the coordinates of A and B, respectively, how can you express the length of the wire in terms of these coordinates?

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4
    Here is my attempt

Attached Files:

6. Sep 8, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks good, except you seem to have made a mistake in the final evaluation of T in part (a).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted