• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Tension and sliding rod

• Thread starter Woopydalan
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am thinking about this problem, and what I don't understand is how at that point A, it is below the x-z plane, but it is not given how far below it is. If I knew, I could solve for the tension in the y-direction and set it equal to the weight.

I must be able to use c and 8 in. to get me closer to that distance below the x-z plane, but I'm not sure how

Attachments

Answers and Replies

PeterO
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am thinking about this problem, and what I don't understand is how at that point A, it is below the x-z plane, but it is not given how far below it is. If I knew, I could solve for the tension in the y-direction and set it equal to the weight.

I must be able to use c and 8 in. to get me closer to that distance below the x-z plane, but I'm not sure how
use 3-D Pythagoras to calculate how far below the x-z plane the mass is each time. remember, the two masses are 18" apart.

If you don't understand 3-D Pythagoras, use normal Pythagoras on the 8" and c to find the direct distance across that void, the normal Pythagoras with the 18" cable/rod (or what ever it was) to calculate how far below the x-z plane A was in each case.

Last edited:
TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If (xA, yA, zA) and (xB, yB, zB) are the coordinates of A and B, respectively, how can you express the length of the wire in terms of these coordinates?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Your work looks good, except you seem to have made a mistake in the final evaluation of T in part (a).

Likes 1 person