Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tension and Spring Forces

1. Aug 15, 2008 #1
    I am a bit confused about such forces that act in a string or a spring. I am unable to guess their direction.
    Therefor I prepared myslf some examples through which i can understan the concpt of these forces.

In diag1
    A force F is applied at end C. What will b the tensions at points A,B(mid point),C. Find their directions and their magnitues. (if the string has no mass)

I can guess about tension at point A. Its going to pull the block of mass m. Therefore, tension will act away in the rightward direction. Am I right? What about the other points?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2
    Your attachment doesn't seem to be working. You shouldn't have to guess what direction the opposing force will be applied, it should be easy to realize. A spring will always want to return to its original position.

The equation for this force is: F = -k*dx

4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  5. Aug 15, 2008 #4
    A force F is applied at end C. What will b the tensions at points A,B(mid point),C. Find their directions and their magnitues. (if the string has no mass)

I can guess about tension at point A. Its going to pull the block of mass m. Therefore, tension will act away in the rightward direction. Am I right? What about the other points?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  6. Aug 15, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

A massless string (all strings in exam questions are massless :wink:) has the same tension all the way along. :smile:

7. Aug 15, 2008 #6
    I wish to know their direction dear Tim. :smile:

8. Aug 16, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… ah!

ah … the tension acts in both directions.

Tension is a pair of opposing forces on each tiny little bit of the string. :smile:

(And if the string is massless, the two opposing forces are equal.)

(same with compression)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook