1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension and Spring Forces

1. Aug 15, 2008 #1
    I am a bit confused about such forces that act in a string or a spring. I am unable to guess their direction.
    Therefor I prepared myslf some examples through which i can understan the concpt of these forces.

In diag1
    A force F is applied at end C. What will b the tensions at points A,B(mid point),C. Find their directions and their magnitues. (if the string has no mass)

I can guess about tension at point A. Its going to pull the block of mass m. Therefore, tension will act away in the rightward direction. Am I right? What about the other points?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2
    Your attachment doesn't seem to be working. You shouldn't have to guess what direction the opposing force will be applied, it should be easy to realize. A spring will always want to return to its original position.

The equation for this force is: F = -k*dx

4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Aug 15, 2008 #4
    A force F is applied at end C. What will b the tensions at points A,B(mid point),C. Find their directions and their magnitues. (if the string has no mass)

I can guess about tension at point A. Its going to pull the block of mass m. Therefore, tension will act away in the rightward direction. Am I right? What about the other points?

6. Aug 15, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

A massless string (all strings in exam questions are massless :wink:) has the same tension all the way along. :smile:

7. Aug 15, 2008 #6
    I wish to know their direction dear Tim. :smile:

8. Aug 16, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… ah!

ah … the tension acts in both directions.

Tension is a pair of opposing forces on each tiny little bit of the string. :smile:

(And if the string is massless, the two opposing forces are equal.)

(same with compression)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?