Tension and Wires

• Thread starter c2015cg
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Three pictures of equal weight (20 N) are hung by wires in three different orientations. In which orientation are the wires least likely to break? Orientation A: 15 degree with horizontal,Orientation B: 45 degree angle with horizontal, Orientation C: 60 angle with horizontal?

Homework Equations

No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to answer the question correctly (orientation C), but I need more information as to why that is correct. I already said that the distance between the two wires should be smaller because it would mean less gravity and therefore less tension. What part am I missing?

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Three pictures of equal weight (20 N) are hung by wires in three different orientations. In which orientation are the wires least likely to break? Orientation A: 15 degree with horizontal,Orientation B: 45 degree angle with horizontal, Orientation C: 60 angle with horizontal?

Homework Equations

No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to answer the question correctly (orientation C), but I need more information as to why that is correct. I already said that the distance between the two wires should be smaller because it would mean less gravity and therefore less tension. What part am I missing?
What does less gravity mean? Don't all the pictures have the same weight?

Hint: think about why a wire is going to break in the first place.