1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension between 3 strings.

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

Three strings, in the horizontal plane, meet in a knot and are pulled with three forces such that the knot is held stationary. The tension in string 1 is T1 = 2.9 N. The angle between strings 1 and 2 is q12 = 130° and the angle between strings 1 and 3 is q13 = 120° with string 3 below string 1 as shown.

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I am unsure. I tried finding two equations with two unknowns and then tried solving for one, but I no idea what to do. my free body diagrams aren't helping either. Could someone explain how my FBD would look or at least explain what equations I should have come up with? Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The key phrase is the "knot is held stationary". That means that the net forces are = 0. It also means that the sum of the component forces in each direction is also 0 or it would move along that direction.

Now you can choose any coordinate system, but being lazy I like to choose at least one axis that makes things easier. Since the angles are given in terms of the relationship with T1, that would be my choice for x-axis.

Now develop equations for T1_x and T2_x and their angles and T3_x and since there is no Y component of T1 then another equation expressing T1_y and T2_y as a function of their angles.

2 equations. 2 unknowns. You don't need any more than that.

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    hey thanks! I worked out the rest of it just fine. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?