1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension between two blocks

1. Jun 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks of weight 50N and 200N are connected by a cord rest on two inclined planes .determine the maximum tension in the cord when limiting friction condition develop in both blocks
    R1=Reaction of weight 50N
    R2=reaction of weight 200 N

2. Relevant equations
    for block of mass 50 N moving upward
    µ1R1+wsin45-T1=0
    for block of mass 200N assuming moving downward
    T2+ µ2R2-W2sin30=0

3. The attempt at a solution:Its just that I am not able to understand why there is different tensions in the cord .Doesnt the tension should be equal if the cord is weightless?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What happens if there is no friction?

(By limiting friction" do you mean that the blocks are stationary or moving at a constant speed?)

4. Jun 24, 2015 #3
    by limiting friction i mean the bodies have just started to move overcoming friction .if there is no friction and if we consider tension same the the bodies will move in the direction of of 200N

5. Jun 24, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They have just overcome the static friction - so they are in motion, and the coefficients are for kinetic friction?
    Or they are just about to overcome static friction - and the coefficients are of static friction?

6. Jun 24, 2015 #5
    They have just overcome motion hence they are coefficient of static friction

7. Jun 24, 2015 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK - what would be the tension if there were some acceleration?
    Does that tension depend on the acceleration?

8. Jun 25, 2015 #7
    i am just confused in this part i think the tension will remain same in this case.Yes i think it depends since f=m*a and tension is also one kind of forcwe

9. Jun 25, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, the tensions must be the same if the cord is massless and there's no friction at the pulley. What makes you think they're different?
    That's not what limiting friction usually means. I would take it to be at maximum static friction.
    That's inconsistent. If they have overcome friction then it's kinetic; if they haven't overcome it's static.

10. Jun 25, 2015 #9
    Yes it takes maximum static friction its just that in my textbook there are two different tension so i got confused and

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  11. Jun 25, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The tensions are actually different, or merely it is using different variables to represent them? If the second, maybe there's an equation later that says they are equal.

12. Jun 25, 2015 #11
    They are represented by different variables in the text book. but now i think since we have to find maximum tension in this question they are represented differently.But i am not so sure

13. Jun 25, 2015 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, as I wrote, unless there is friction on the rope at the apex the tensions will surely be equal.

14. Jun 25, 2015 #13
    Then i think its a mistake of textbook since it hasnt said any tension in apex

15. Jun 25, 2015 #14

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why would it? The text has not mentioned lots of things - that does not mean that it is wrong.

i.e. the text has not said anything about the tension half way between the left block and the apex ... but we can tell some things about that tension by thinking about the physics involved. Just cause it is not written down don't mean its not true.

If you consider the point on the rope exactly at the apex, you can see there must be some tension pointing each direction away from the apex. Since the rope is not accelerating, you can deduce that the magnitude of the tensions must be equal.

Your book has not said that the tensions T1 and T2 are not equal.
    Different variable names may still have the same physical value.

Try redoing the calculation assuming that T1=T2 - be careful about the directions of your vectors.

Notes:
    ##\sin(45)=\cos(45)=1/\sqrt{2}##, ##\sin(30)=1/2##, ##\cos(30)=\sqrt{3}/2##.

16. Jun 25, 2015 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I said friction at apex, not tension. And as Simon and I are both trying to explain to you, it is not wrong to use different symbols for entities that could in general be different but in the present case turn out to be the same.
    It sounds like you are walking through a solution in your textbook. Is that right? Or is it just that your textbook provides a diagram with labels T1 and T2 in it?

17. Jun 25, 2015 #16
    Sorry i was trying to write friction at the apex.I am seeing solution in text book and it clearly has two tension value

Attached Files:

18. Jun 26, 2015 #17

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd like to see the exact wording of the question.

If you put a nail through the rope at the apex, fixing the rope at that point, it is easy to see why there would be a different tension on each side of the nail.

19. Jun 26, 2015 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, I think I understand what is going on here.
    The T1 calculated is an upper limit on the tension for static equilibrium. If the tension exceeds this then block 1 will slide up. The T2 calculated is a lower limit on the tension for static equilibrium. If the tension is less than this then block 2 will slide down.
    If the calculated upper limit were greater than the calculated lower limit then it would be stable. The actual tension would be anywhere in that range. (It can happen that it simply is not possible to determine the actual tension.). As it is, the lower limit comes out higher than the upper limit, so it is not stable.
    But if I'm right, the final line in the textbook makes me feel the author has not understood the problem.

20. Jun 26, 2015 #19
    thanks for explaining.But i still have one confusion.How does the tension have upper and lower limits doesnt it should be equally distribured in the chord?

21. Jun 26, 2015 #20
    I have written the exact question and there is no wording about fixing the rope

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted