Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Tension calculations.

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    I am tasked to find the tensions of two wires by calculating the "magnitude of the vector" in a highschool physics/precalc class. I have tried working out the equation in several ways but they all end up in an unsolvable format. So, in reference to the picture, A = 35 degrees, B= 30 degrees and sides a and b symbolize the magnitude or tension on two vectors when holding a 1200 lbs weight from a level position. I am given no other information. 1461943737818.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2
    I have found that x = (-ycos35/cos150) no? And I tried substituting it into a few equations I worked out. I feel im in the WAY wrong direction here and common sense is failing me.

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3
    I realize this is a simple problem but my application of angle theorem and vector analysis is limited so far.

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4
    Some people told me pythagorean theorem is that simple but i figured tension would be different from magnitude

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted