Tension calculations.

• B
  • Thread starter Planetx
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am tasked to find the tensions of two wires by calculating the "magnitude of the vector" in a highschool physics/precalc class. I have tried working out the equation in several ways but they all end up in an unsolvable format. So, in reference to the picture, A = 35 degrees, B= 30 degrees and sides a and b symbolize the magnitude or tension on two vectors when holding a 1200 lbs weight from a level position. I am given no other information.
1461943737818.jpg

Answers and Replies

I have found that x = (-ycos35/cos150) no? And I tried substituting it into a few equations I worked out. I feel im in the WAY wrong direction here and common sense is failing me.

I have found that x = (-ycos35/cos180) no? And I tried substituting it into a few equations I worked out. I feel im in the WAY wrong direction here and common sense is failing me.
I realize this is a simple problem but my application of angle theorem and vector analysis is limited so far.

Some people told me pythagorean theorem is that simple but i figured tension would be different from magnitude