1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Tension calculations.

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    I am tasked to find the tensions of two wires by calculating the "magnitude of the vector" in a highschool physics/precalc class. I have tried working out the equation in several ways but they all end up in an unsolvable format. So, in reference to the picture, A = 35 degrees, B= 30 degrees and sides a and b symbolize the magnitude or tension on two vectors when holding a 1200 lbs weight from a level position. I am given no other information. 1461943737818.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2
    I have found that x = (-ycos35/cos150) no? And I tried substituting it into a few equations I worked out. I feel im in the WAY wrong direction here and common sense is failing me.

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3
    I realize this is a simple problem but my application of angle theorem and vector analysis is limited so far.

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4
    Some people told me pythagorean theorem is that simple but i figured tension would be different from magnitude

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted