Will the Tow Cable Hold During the Car Tow?

In summary: , in summary, the driver can tow your car at a constant acceleration from rest with a maximum speed of 45 mph.
bignasty
The Problem:
Your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. A tow truck weighing 4000 lbs. comes along and agrees to tow your car, which weighs 2000 lbs., to the nearest town. The driver of the truck attaches his cable to your car at an angle of 20 degrees to horizontal. He tells you that his cable has a strength of 500 lbs. He plans to take 10 secs to tow your car at a constant acceleration from rest in a straight line along a flat road until he reaches the maximum speed of 45 m.p.h. Can the driver carry out the plan? You assume that the rolling friction behaves like kinetic friction, and the coefficient of the rolling friction between your tires and the road is 0.10.

I'm not sure where to start. I'm pretty sure I need to find the sum of all the forces in the x direction, then use the angle of 20 degrees to see if the the tension on the rope is more that 500 lbs. Mainly, I am just not sure how to incorporate the kinetic friction. If anyone could provide a hint as to how incorporate the kinetic friction, or just let me know if I'm even on the right track, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The force from kinetic friction is anti parrallel to the direction of the car's motion.

The equation for the magnitude of this force

[tex] F_f = \mu_k n [/tex]

where n is the normal force and [itex] u_k[/itex] is the coefficient of friction.

your definately on the right track, consider Newton's second equation for horizontal and vertical components of force on the car.

bignasty said:
The Problem:
Your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. A tow truck weighing 4000 lbs. comes along and agrees to tow your car, which weighs 2000 lbs., to the nearest town. The driver of the truck attaches his cable to your car at an angle of 20 degrees to horizontal. He tells you that his cable has a strength of 500 lbs. He plans to take 10 secs to tow your car at a constant acceleration from rest in a straight line along a flat road until he reaches the maximum speed of 45 m.p.h. Can the driver carry out the plan? You assume that the rolling friction behaves like kinetic friction, and the coefficient of the rolling friction between your tires and the road is 0.10.

I'm not sure where to start. I'm pretty sure I need to find the sum of all the forces in the x direction, then use the angle of 20 degrees to see if the the tension on the rope is more that 500 lbs. Mainly, I am just not sure how to incorporate the kinetic friction.
I assume that the tension limit is 500 lb force (ie the weight of 500 lb = 500*32 = 16000 ftlb of force).

The forces on the tow cable are friction, gravity and ma. (note: the vertical component of the tension reduces the normal force which reduces friction).

[tex]F_{acceleration} = ma[/tex]
[tex]F_{friction} = \mu_kN = \mu_k(mg - Tsin(20))[/tex]

So:
(1)[tex]Tcos(20)=F_{acceleration} + F_{friction} = ma + \mu_k(mg-Tsin(20))[/tex]

[tex]Tcos(20) = ma + \mu_kmg - \mu_kTsin(20))[/tex]
[tex]T(cos(20)+sin(20)\mu_k) = ma + \mu_kmg[/tex]

(2)[tex]T = \frac{ma + \mu_kmg}{(cos(20)+sin(20)\mu_k)}[/tex]

[tex]ma = m\Delta v / \Delta t = 2000 * 66/10 = 13200[/tex]lbft/sec^2 (45 mph = 66 ft/sec)

[tex]T = \frac{13200 + .1*2000*32}{(.94 + .34*.1)}[/tex]

[tex]T = \frac{13200 + 6400}{.974} = 19770 > 16000[/tex]lb ft/sec^2

AM

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the explanations!

bignasty

1. What is the tension car cable problem?

The tension car cable problem refers to the issue of excessive tension or strain on the cable that supports a car or elevator. This can occur due to various factors such as overloading, structural damage, or malfunctioning of the cable system.

2. How does excessive tension in the car cable affect the car or elevator?

Excessive tension in the car cable can lead to a variety of problems such as reduced efficiency, increased wear and tear on the cable and other components, and even complete failure of the system. It can also pose a safety hazard for passengers and cause disruptions in service.

3. What are the common causes of tension car cable problem?

The most common causes of tension car cable problem include overloading of the car or elevator, structural damage to the cable or supporting structure, improper maintenance, and wear and tear over time. In some cases, extreme weather conditions or natural disasters can also contribute to this problem.

4. How can the tension car cable problem be prevented?

Regular maintenance and inspections of the car cable system can help prevent tension problems. This includes checking for any signs of wear and tear, proper lubrication of the cable, and ensuring that the weight limit of the car or elevator is not exceeded. Additionally, installing safety devices such as overload sensors can also help prevent tension issues.

5. What should be done if the tension car cable problem occurs?

If the tension car cable problem occurs, it is important to immediately stop using the car or elevator and seek professional assistance. Attempting to fix the problem without proper knowledge and equipment can be dangerous. A trained technician should be able to assess the issue and make necessary repairs to ensure the safety and functionality of the system.