1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension, Force, and theta

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    I have a conceptual problem i can't seem to understand how to derive an equation for theta. Here is what i have so far

Diamgram: L=50m (delta) Y= .20m
    A bird sits on a wire whos length is = to 50m the bird acts on the wire and (delta) Y= -.20m. Assuming the bird rests in the middle of the wire, find (theta) and total tension. (Ft)
    First equation used. VISUAL |--------O---------|
    Its hard to tell by the diagram i created but the bird breaks the wire into components of X and y, so its basicly a Vector problem to solve for Theta but i would like to know how to derive to actually solving for theta that would be helpfull. I give an example below as to what i need help with.
    Solve for Ft and Theta (which in the diagram is the angle left of the bird or (O) at which it sits.
    Example:
    (Sigma)F=MA
    Which i then reform to Ft=(MG/2sine)
    by setting Fy=O FtLy+FtRy+mg(y)=0
    Ftsin+Ftrsin=mg
    2Ftsin=MG
    solve for FT
    Ft=(mg/2sin)
    is my final equation to solve for Ft

Now that thats how far i have gotten. What i need to know is how do i derive an equation for Theta. I have no freaking clue :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2
    you want theta?

Then, just use simply trignometry

tan theta = y/x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?