1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Force (should be easy)

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The weights of the blocks are W_A = 120 lb and W_B = 20 lb, and the surfaces are smooth. Find the acceleration of block A.

[A picture is shown. Block A is connected via rod to a pulley, and Block B is hanging from the pulley via cord.]

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

This is embarrassing. I feel like I'm having a brain fart. I did free body diagrams showing that T-W_B=(M_A)a, and that T=(M_B)a, and substituted them into equations, but the book says it's the wrong answer; I should be getting 4.02 ft/s^2, but I'm getting something different. Any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You ll have to attach the pic or better describe the setup. 3 pulleys? What side is rod connected? How many ropes?

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    Here you go.

Attached Files:

5. May 10, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what answer you are getting, but your signage is wrong when looking at
    Block B. also make sure your mass unit are in slugs.

Edit: you also used M_B in your second equation when you should have used M_A.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook