1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension/Forces question

1. Oct 22, 2004 #1
    I have this tension problem that I attached and I have no idea where to start working this. We've normally just done linear things with coupled motion, either horizontally or vertically, so i'm completely lost on how to even start this. If anyone can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2
    What do u need to find in this problem? Does the question ask you to find anything?
  4. Oct 22, 2004 #3
    If you need to find the tensions in the cables T1 and T2 I would do as follows:

Sum of the forces along the x-axis and y-axis must be zero, because the net force on the hanging mass is zero. For the x- component of forces,

-T1 cos theta1 + T2 cos theta 2 = 0

( x component of T1 is on the negative x - axis )

Plug in theta 1 and theta 2 from the problem:

Solve for one tension in terms of the other you would get some thing like this :

T2 = some number * T1 or vice versa.

And for y - component of the forces :

T1 sin theta1 + T2 sin theta2 - W = 0. Here -W since since weight is suspended in the y direction.

Solve this equation too, and subsitute one tension in terms of the other from the first equation.

You can get the two tensions.

Hope this helps!, if I have understood the problem correctly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?