How do you calculate tension forces using trigonometry?

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension forces A, B, and C in a system where angle 1 is 60 degrees, angle 2 is 25 degrees, and the suspended mass is 120kg. The equations needed to solve the problem involve using triangles and trigonometry. The solution involves finding the balance at the conjunction point of ABC and considering the directions in which it could move. The final answers for tension forces A and B are 1359.31 and 2785.49, respectively.
physicx_1

Homework Statement

angle 1 is 60
angle 2 is 25
and the suspended mass is 120kg

CALCULATE THE TENSIONS FORCES A, B, AND C
[PLAIN]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1412/unledfm.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand you have to use some triangles and some trigonometry. But I am not sure how.

here is my attempt

120 X 9.81 = 1177.2 = c?

so a + b = C?

and a = half of c and b = half of c?

and then a = sin60 = half of c divided by a ?

I have no idea. please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start thinking of the conjunction point of ABC.
In which directions it could basically move ?
If it doesn't move, it's because there's a balance...

yea, there is a balance. but I never said it would move or anything like that.

I've gotten answers of a = 1359.31
b=2785.49

can anyone check of that's right?

1. What are tension forces?

Tension forces are forces that are exerted on an object in opposite directions, pulling the object apart. These forces are caused by the pulling or stretching of an object, and they are always directed along the length of the object.

2. How are tension forces calculated using trigonometry?

To calculate the tension force using trigonometry, you need to know the angle and the magnitude of the force. You can then use the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, or tangent to determine the horizontal and vertical components of the force, which can then be used to calculate the total tension force.

3. What is the relationship between tension forces and angles?

The angle at which a tension force is applied can impact the amount of tension force that is exerted on an object. For example, if the force is applied at an angle of 90 degrees, the tension force will be at its maximum. As the angle decreases, the tension force also decreases.

4. How do tension forces affect the stability of structures?

Tension forces play a critical role in the stability of structures. They help to balance and distribute the weight of the structure, preventing it from collapsing under its own weight. Tension forces are also essential in keeping structures upright, as they counteract the compressive forces that act downward.

5. What are some real-world examples of tension forces?

Tension forces can be observed in various everyday situations. Some examples include the tension in a rope being pulled from both ends, the tension in a guitar string when it is plucked, and the tension in a bridge's cables that support the weight of the bridge.