Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tension Formulas

1. Jan 1, 2005 #1
    I am in grade 12 doing level 3 Physics.

For some reason i keep getting stuck on tension questions and static equilibriums

Would anyone know the formulas for these (as my book really does not seem to be helping me) and where i can find some practice questions on the subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2005 #2
    I am doing that stuff right now too.

Static Equilibriums is real easy for me, the equations are that Net force in y direction = 0 net force in x direction = 0 and net torque = 0 using those forumlas along with provided information for the problem should be enough to solve it. Unless there is something more comples your working with becasue I dont know what is meant by level 3 physics?

Im not exactly sure what you mean by tension questions? like just rope tension? do you have a sample problem?

4. Jan 1, 2005 #3
    Well, the reason i would be having trouble with statics is that i pretty much missed that entire section due to sickness..

But as for tension, i do have an example:

two boxes, each of mass 40 kg, are tied together. Box 2 is on a surface angled 60 degrees below the horizontal level of the flat surface that box 1 is on. If both surfaces provide a frictional coefficient of 0.15;

a) What is the tension in the string
    b) Starting from rest, how long does it take the system of boxes to slide 1.50m

5. Jan 1, 2005 #4
    Ok so the box on the flat surface has a force of 58.8 N holding it in place (40)9.8(.15)

The box on the sloped surface has a force of 145.077 N pulling it down the slope(40)9.8(cos(60))-(40)9.8(sin(60))(.15)

So I think that you add the two or subtract, I think its add because they are in opposite directions so it would be 203.877 N? sig digs. I tihnk thats right idk check my math. Does your book have the answer in the back to check it?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook