Tension & friction prblem (limiting case)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the force of friction and tension in a problem involving two blocks on a horizontal table connected by strings and pulleys. The system is initially assumed to be at rest, but it is later clarified that the blocks are not necessarily at rest. The problem involves finding the force of friction and tension for each block, but there are only two equations and three unknowns. The coefficient of friction for the 10 kg block is given as 0.5, and there is some confusion about whether this is the coefficient of maximal static friction or kinetic friction. It is mentioned that the problem may be complex due to the unknown direction of the frictional forces. However, a solution is provided by imagining the system without the
shashank010288
I am finding it very difficult to find frictional force & tension in this problem, since the system remains at rest. It requires something more than FBD & force eqations.

Q. Two blocks 10 kg(u=o.f) & 6kg(u=0.2) ( u:co-ef of friction) lie on a horizontal table, connected by string. (inextensible.) The 10 kg block is connected by a string passing over a pully to a 2kg block which hangs freely.
similarly, the 6kg block is connected to a 4kg block by string pully, which hangs freely. find the force of friction on the 2 blocks & tension in the string joining them.

U get 2 eqations
T+ F(on 6)= 4g

T=F(on 10) + 2g

2 eq. & 3 unknowns. How to solve?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember [tex] F_{f} = \mu N [/tex]

What is the coefficient of friction of the 10 kg block ?

shashank010288 said:
I am finding it very difficult to find frictional force & tension in this problem, since the system remains at rest.

Where does it say the system remains at rest ??

It requires something more than FBD & force eqations.

Even if it were at rest, it would not require anything more. But clearly, there is no reason to assume the system is at rest, based on the given information.

Q. Two blocks 10 kg(u=o.f) & 6kg(u=0.2) ( u:co-ef of friction) lie on a horizontal table, connected by string. (inextensible.) The 10 kg block is connected by a string passing over a pully to a 2kg block which hangs freely.
similarly, the 6kg block is connected to a 4kg block by string pully, which hangs freely. find the force of friction on the 2 blocks & tension in the string joining them.

U get 2 eqations
T+ F(on 6)= 4g

T=F(on 10) + 2g

2 eq. & 3 unknowns. How to solve?

I see 2 equations, but only 1 unknown : T. And that is a problem, since clearly, the values of F(fr) are known for both blocks. However, there is one more variable that you have to include : the unknown acceleration, 'a'.

I am extremely sorry.
The coeff of friction for 10 kg block is 0.5. It is wrongly printed as 0.f

& For gokul, whatever u r saying is surely wrong

shashank010288 said:
I am extremely sorry.
The coeff of friction for 10 kg block is 0.5. It is wrongly printed as 0.f

& For gokul, whatever u r saying is surely wrong

Only because I didn't know what "0.f" meant !

If that number was low enough, it would allow for the blocks to slide, with some acceleration, 'a'.

I believe shaskank thinks he's been given the coefficients of maximal static friction, rather than the coefficients of kinetic friction..

Yes, that does make it kinda complex. I'll need to sit down and think about it a little more...

I think unless blocks are hanging or accelerated there will no tension in the string you see what i understand from your question is that two blocks are resting on a horizontal table connected with a string and pulley, which is useless, there is lying there. there is no force on the block which will produse tension in the string.
If i am mistaken at any point please tell otherwise this que. could not be solved.
thanks

Read the problem, again. Even if it was at rest, it will be tension, because there's a block hanging freely, being attracted by gravity, so the Friction of both blocks must exert a force to neutralize the tension.

Thanks, i got it.
As the blocks are at rest, let there be tension T in the string, it neutralize the force of friction as it tries to bring them closer but friction resists it. Divide the components of the tension vector horizontal one will be equal to the force of friction.
i think it will do it.

PLz calculate its value by finding the equations.
I think its unsolvable as it involves very complex mechanism of friction.
Think hard & u will realize that its very very conceptual problem.

Actually shashank read what Gokul43201 and arildno said. At rest or moving it won't be unsolveable, only if what arildno said holds true, it will be complex (i doubt unsolveable, but i will have to try)

shashank010288 said:
PLz calculate its value by finding the equations.
I think its unsolvable as it involves very complex mechanism of friction.
Think hard & u will realize that its very very conceptual problem.
This is an interesting problem since you don't even know the direction of the frictional forces, much less their magnitudes. (All you know up front is the maximum static friction that the blocks can support.)

But if you assume that you wish to find the minimum tension in the middle string, it's easy to solve. (Imagine that you gently release the hanging weights---that will give you the minimum tension.)

First imagine that there is no string connecting the 10kg and 6kg blocks. The static friction of the 10kg block (maximum of 5g in standard units) is more than enough to support the hanging 2kg mass. But the 6kg block (maximum friction of 1.2g) would not be able to support the hanging 4kg mass. The middle string needs to supply a minimum tension of 2.8g. In that case the friction force on the 6kg mass is at maximum (1.2g directed towards the 10kg mass), but the friction force on the 10kg mass is only 0.8g directly away from the 6kg mass.

A very neat solution, Doc Al!

Last edited:
I appreciate DOC AL's work, but that's quite easy to get.
But, my question is,
Why can't the system give a single solution?

I agree with Shashank.
Once the system is arranged and all the required data is given, only a single solution must exist in the field of classical physics.

1. What is the difference between tension and friction in a limiting case?

Both tension and friction are forces that act on an object, but they have different effects. Tension is a pulling force that occurs along a rope or cable, while friction is a resisting force that occurs between two surfaces in contact. In a limiting case, tension can cause an object to accelerate or move, while friction can cause it to slow down or come to a stop.

2. How do tension and friction affect the motion of an object in a limiting case?

In a limiting case, tension and friction can both act to limit the motion of an object. Tension can accelerate or move an object, but it can also reach a maximum value and prevent the object from moving any further. Friction can also limit the motion of an object by slowing it down, and in some cases, it may even prevent the object from moving at all.

3. What factors affect the amount of tension and friction in a limiting case?

The amount of tension and friction in a limiting case depends on several factors. For tension, the force applied and the mass of the object can affect the amount of tension. For friction, the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of those surfaces, and the normal force between them can all impact the amount of friction present.

4. How can tension and friction be calculated in a limiting case?

To calculate tension in a limiting case, you can use Newton's second law, which states that force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma). For friction, you can use the coefficient of friction, which is a value that represents the roughness of the surfaces in contact, along with the normal force and the weight of the object.

5. How can the effects of tension and friction be minimized in a limiting case?

In some cases, the effects of tension and friction can be minimized in a limiting case. For tension, using a lighter object or decreasing the force applied can reduce the amount of tension. For friction, using smoother surfaces or reducing the normal force can decrease the amount of friction. Additionally, lubricants can be used to reduce friction between surfaces.