Solving Tension & Friction Problem: Get Answer from Magellanic

In summary, the problem involves a sledge pulled by a rope at a constant speed on a horizontal surface. The sledge has a mass of 18.5 kg and the angle of the rope is 20.2°. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.500. The question is asking for the tension in the rope. After calculations, the tension is found to be 96.59 [N]. However, there may be an error in the calculation of the normal force (N) which could affect the overall result.
Magellanic
Hi, I am having some major difficulties with this problem:

A sledge loaded with bricks has a total mass of 18.5 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope inclined at 20.2° above the horizontal. The sledge moves a distance of 20.9 m on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sledge and surface is 0.500.

What is the tension in the rope?

I do not know what I am doing wrong, because every answer I get is incorrect.

So far I can figure out that the sledge weighs 181.3N.
When calculating the Frictional Force (mu * N), I come up with 90.65
Because the sledge is moving at a constant speed, there is no acceleration, and therefore the Sum of the horizontal forces = 0.

That would mean, when drawing out a force diagram, the Horizontal F = 90.65, calculating the Hypotenuse (Tension in the rope) at 96.59.

But that's not the answer!
I realize that the Vertical force is present due to the angle of the rope, and would thus subtract from the initial weight of the box, which would change the Frictional Force, continuing on to change the vertical force again. It's just a big loop.

So where am I screwing up/What equation am i missing?

Thanks,
Magellanic

Physics news on Phys.org
mu=tanTheta=.368 I am pretty sure that this is the coefficient of static friction since they gave you the coefficient of kinetic fricition.

That doesn't make sense. Why do I need to know the static friction if the sled is in motion?

Last edited:
Using the information given by the problem I also get the same answer.

Magellanic said:
So far I can figure out that the sledge weighs 181.3N.
When calculating the Frictional Force (mu * N), I come up with 90.65
Because the sledge is moving at a constant speed, there is no acceleration, and therefore the Sum of the horizontal forces = 0...

You got N wrong, as it seems to me. N = m*g*cos(20.2) = 170.32 [N]. If the surface was horizontal, then N would equal 181.3 [N].

1. How can I solve tension and friction problems?

To solve a tension and friction problem, you need to first identify all of the forces acting on the object. This includes tension forces (from ropes or strings), friction forces, and any other external forces. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, use this net force to find the acceleration of the object and solve for any unknown variables.

2. What is the difference between tension and friction?

Tension is a pulling force that is exerted by a rope, string, or similar object. It is always directed away from the object it is attached to. Friction, on the other hand, is a force that resists the motion of an object as it slides or rolls over a surface. It occurs between two objects in contact and always acts in the opposite direction of motion.

3. How does the Magellanic solve tension and friction problems?

The Magellanic is a powerful tool for solving tension and friction problems because it uses advanced mathematical algorithms to quickly and accurately calculate forces and accelerations. It also has a user-friendly interface that allows you to input all of the necessary variables and equations to solve the problem step-by-step.

4. Can the Magellanic be used to solve complex tension and friction problems?

Yes, the Magellanic is designed to handle even the most complex tension and friction problems. It can take into account multiple objects, varying friction coefficients, and non-uniform surfaces. Its advanced algorithms ensure that the solutions are accurate and reliable.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Magellanic for solving tension and friction problems?

While the Magellanic is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is only as accurate as the information and equations that are inputted by the user. It also cannot account for external factors such as air resistance or changes in surface conditions. In some cases, manual calculations may be necessary to supplement the results from the Magellanic.