1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension help?

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    Tension help???

Consider the 59 N weight held by two cables. The left-hand cable is horizontal.

What is the tension in the cable slanted
    at an angle of 51◦? Answer in units of N.

What is the tension in the horizontal cable?
    Answer in units of N

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Tension help???

You have three force vectors pointed out from the point where the cables meet. The sum must be zero. Now split the forces into x-y components and equate the horizontal and vertical forces. Now stop double posting. Now start showing an attempt at solving the problem if you expect significant help.

4. Nov 8, 2008 #3

Sorry for double posting but, I was absent today in school when we learned this, and my teacher expects me to know how to do this. My grandmother died and i had to go to her funeral. What do you mean by splitting them into x-y components, and isn't their only 2 vectors pointed out

5. Nov 8, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are three forces. One to the left that's horizontal. One the the right that's upwards at a 51 degree angle. And one that's downwards with a magnitude of 59N. The vertical forces have to cancel first. Only two of them have a vertical component. Please don't say you don't know how to split a force into vertical and horizontal components. Use sin(51 degrees) and cos(51 degrees), ok? Sorry about your grandmother.

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5

Nah it's fine and thanks for helping me though.

51sin= .777145 51cos= .6293

Now after i split them what do i have to do with the numbers?

7. Nov 8, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Call the magnitude of the 51 degree force F. Then the upward part of F is F*sin(51 degrees), assuming 51 degrees is the angle from the horizonal, isn't it? So isn't F*sin(51 degrees)=59N? Since the vertical components have to balance? Solve for F. Now balance the horizontal components. Sorry, I've got to zzzzz now.

8. Nov 8, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi bamb3ry! welcome to pf! :smile:
    i'll say this quietly so as not to wake Dick :zzz: …

in the class you missed, the teacher probably said that forces are vectors, and so when you add forces, you must add them like vectors ("vector addition") …

you can add vectors either by using a vector triangle

or by taking the x and y components, and adding them separately …

the three forces (two unknown tensions and the known weight) must add to zero, so the x and y components will give you two equations wiht two unknowns, which you should be able to solve :smile:

shhh … :blushing:

9. Nov 8, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for keeping the volume down! I didn't hear a thing. Yaawwwn.

10. Nov 8, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oooh … can we make a NOISE now? :biggrin:

:rolleyes: so long as we don't fight!​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?