Solving Tension Problem with 3 Cables | Philip

In summary, Philip is struggling with a tension problem involving a weight supported by three cables. He has been using a method using equations and his TI-89 calculator, but it is not working for this particular problem. He is wondering if there is a different approach that he is missing, possibly involving a triangle. After discussing his problem with others, he realizes that he only needs three equations if he knows the angles of the cables. He ultimately solves the problem by using the sum of each i,j,k vector as equations, making it much easier with only three unknowns.
philipc
I'm a bit stuck on a tension problem, I have a weight supported by three cables.
I will have to admit, up to this point, I have been cheating on these tension problems. What I have been doing is writing various equations and using my TI-89 to solve the system of equations. This method has been working for me when having only two cables or the three cables being some what symmetric. This problem puts the three cables all on the X, Z plane (judging by the picture) but they have no symmetry beyond that. Using my method I have nine unknowns, so I created to what I believed to be 9 valid equations, but my TI-89 didn't really like that.
I once remember my professor talking about some sort of triangle, so my question, is there a better way to solve this sort of problem. I'm not asking for the problem to be solved, I just need a different approach.
Thanks guys and gals
Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the needed equations, consider the conditions for equilibrium: The sum of the forces in any direction must be zero; the net torque about any point must be zero.

If you really have 9 equations and 9 unknowns, what's the problem? Solve it, step by step. (To get more targeted advice, show the exact problem and your attempted solution.)

Doc,
I was just wondering if there was a different approach that using 9 equations, some general laws I'm missing out on.
To show the exact problem would be much harder than describing it, it's pretty simple, just imagine a mass hanging from three cables, and there three cables can be attached any where on the x,z plane. Where the mass is attached to the three cables on the negative y axis.
Far as my 9 equations, I'm guessing that I went down a wrong path, giving me incomplete data for the TI-89 to work with.
Setting the three separate x,y,z tensions equal only gives me three equations. What would be the next approach to obtain the next 6 equations?
Thanks
Philip

If you have the angles that the cables make, then all you probably need are three equations. (The tensions are the three unknowns.) If you don't have the angles, then you don't have enough information to solve for the tensions.

I just solved it, thanks
I do have the locations of the points where the cables are attached, so I can make the angles. What I was doing was breaking each tension into 3 parts giving me 9 unknowns. I found a similar problems solved where they only used the three tensions as unknowns and used the sum of each i,j,k vector to make 3 equations. This method was much easier and giving only three unknowns, so it all worked out in the end.
Thanks again
Philip

1. What is the "tension problem" with 3 cables?

The "tension problem" with 3 cables refers to a mathematical or engineering problem that involves calculating the tension or force exerted on three cables in a system. This type of problem is commonly encountered in structural engineering, physics, and other fields.

2. What is the solution to the tension problem with 3 cables?

The solution to the tension problem with 3 cables involves using mathematical equations and principles of physics to calculate the tension or force exerted on each cable in the system. This can be done by analyzing the forces acting on each cable and applying the laws of equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect the tension in the cables?

Several factors can affect the tension in the cables, including the weight or load placed on the cables, the angles at which the cables are attached, the length and thickness of the cables, and the material properties of the cables.

4. How is the tension in each cable determined?

The tension in each cable can be determined by using the principles of statics and solving for the unknown forces acting on the cables. This can be done by setting up and solving a system of equations based on the known and unknown forces in the system.

5. What are some practical applications of solving the tension problem with 3 cables?

The tension problem with 3 cables has many practical applications, including designing and analyzing the stability and strength of bridges, cranes, and other structures. It is also used in the construction of suspension bridges and in determining the forces on cables in cable-stayed bridges.