Tension in a current carrying loop

In summary, we are given a circular conducting coil with a constant current flowing through it in the absence of external fields. Using the equations B=(μ/4∏)*I*(dlXs)/(s^3) and F=I*(dlXB), we can calculate the tension in the coil by considering an element of the coil and integrating the magnetic field produced by it. The final equation for tension is I^2*(dlXμ/2∏r^2).
quawa99

Homework Statement

A circular conducting coil is present in space in the absence of any external electric and magnetic fields.A steady and constant current is flowing through the coil.What is the tension developed in the coil?.(Given current is 'I' and radius of coil is 'r')

Homework Equations

B=(μ/4∏)*I*(dlXs)/(s^3)...(1)
F=I*(dlXB)

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider an element 'p' of the coil where the magnetic field is caused due to the rest of the coil.First we calculate the magnetic field at this point :
a small arc of length r*d∅ whose radius vector from center makes an angle ∅ with the radius vector of the element p.The magnetic field produced due to this small arc at point p is calculated as:
from (1)
dB= (μ/4∏)*I*(rd∅Xr(sin(∅/2))/((r(sin(∅/2))^3)...(2)
ie dl=rd∅,s=r(sin(∅/2)),angle between dl and s is ∅/2
on integrating (2) * from limits ∅=0 to ∅=2∏
you get log(1/0).
(*as magnetic field due to every element at p is in the same direction the net magnetic field can be calculated by scalar summation)

Physics news on Phys.org
B= (μ/4∏)*I*(2∏rXr)/(r^3)= (μ/2∏)*I/r Now using equation F=I*(dlXB)tension=F/length of coil =I*(dlXB)/2∏r=I*(dlX(μ/2∏)*I/r)/2∏r=I*(dlXμI/2∏r^2)/2∏r=I*(dlXμ/2∏r^2)=I^2*(dlXμ/2∏r^2)The tension developed in the coil is I^2*(dlXμ/2∏r^2)

1. What causes tension in a current carrying loop?

Tension in a current carrying loop is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field produced by the current and the magnetic field of the external source, such as a magnet or another current carrying loop.

2. How does tension affect the current carrying loop?

The tension in a current carrying loop can cause it to stretch or deform. This can affect the shape and size of the loop, as well as the magnitude and direction of the current flowing through it.

3. What factors can influence the amount of tension in a current carrying loop?

The amount of tension in a current carrying loop depends on the strength of the external magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, and the size and shape of the loop itself.

4. Can tension in a current carrying loop be controlled?

Yes, the tension in a current carrying loop can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the external magnetic field or the current flowing through the loop. The size and shape of the loop can also be altered to change the amount of tension.

5. What are some practical applications of tension in a current carrying loop?

Tension in a current carrying loop is used in various devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also an important concept in the study of electromagnetism and is used in the design of various electronic circuits.