1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in a pulley system

1. Aug 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi. My question is only regarding the early step in this problem that solves for tension. Here is the question:
    "In a pulley system where masses m and M are connected by a rope over a massless and frictionless pulley, find the work done by the tension force in lifting mass m a distance h. Note that M > m and both masses are at the same height above the ground. The system is initially held at rest, and is then released."
    2. Relevant equations
    (T = tension, s = displacement)
    W = F * s, here W = T*h

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I have already solved for acceleration of mass M and the v of m after it travels a distance h in another part of the problem, and I thought that I was fine with this one, but: I was summing forces to get the net force on m, which I thought would be T + (-mg) = ma. By following this, I said that T = ma + mg. That made sense to me because 'ma' is the net force, and 'ma' plus the amount of force subtracted by gravity is the total tension of the rope. However, when I finished the problem and checked it, the online review book said that Tension = mg - ma, and I am not sure why that is. Wouldn't that make Tension less than the force of gravity, and so mass m would go down instead of up?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The book may have made an error distinguishing between M and m.. You are correct that T = ma + mg.
    It is also correct by looking at the forces acting on M that
    T = Mg - Ma

Welcome to the Forums!

4. Aug 7, 2011 #3
    Thanks. :)
    I was worried that I was missing something important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook