1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in a Rope

1. Mar 31, 2010 #1
    Sorry I deleted the template, it doesn't seem to apply much to this particular problem:

A professional strongman ties rope A to a building and pulls as hard as he can on the rope. Two other professional strongmen take either end of rope B and pull in opposite directions as hard as they can. If all strongmen possess equal strength, how do the tensions in the rope compare?

It's a multiple choice question and the answer listed is: The ropes have the same tension.

This just doesn't seem correct to me, could anyone enlighten me or confirm my doubts? As I see it, if all the strongmen pull with a force of 10N (perhaps we should call these strongmice instead), then clearly rope A would have a tension of 10N, while rope B would have a tension of 20N.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not as clearly as you think. Just imagine that the wall is a strongman. Whether a strongman or a wall, either would exert the same force on the rope...10N. That's Newton 3. You might want to cut a section thru the rope and draw a Free Body diagram around one of the strongmen, and use newton 1 for equilibrium.
  4. Mar 31, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the help, that's just a weird thing to conceptualize.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook