Tension in a Spring: Find the Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a spring attached to a wall and how the tension in the spring varies from the wall to the middle. It is explained that the tension is not constant due to the gravitational force acting on the spring and that the sum of tensions is greater near the wall due to the weight of the coils below. The overall concept is clarified through a free body diagram and the equation F = kx.
Benoit
Imagine a spring that has its two ends attached to a wall at the same height. The spring will adopt a kind of a ''U'' shape (maybe a parabollic shape would be more precise). Why are the coils near the wall more distant from each others than the coils at the middle of the spring ? I think it is because the tension is higher, but the tension isn't suppose to be same everywhere in a spring ? How could I find the difference between the tension near the wall and the tension in the middle of the spring ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much does your spring weigh?

.Scott said:
How much does your spring weigh?
It was a conceptual question, just consider the mass of the spring as non-nigligible.

Actually, a little more detail is needed. Measure the length of the spring when it is relaxed, that is compressed with no load. We'll call that the "compressed length". Now consider the bent spring. It will have an inside edge where all the coils tend to be compacted and an outside edge where they are the most loose.

When you attach the sprint to the wall, measure the distance between where the two inside edges are attached to the wall. We'll call that the inside distance.

We'll also assume that we are doing this in free fall - no gravity.

Then, if pi times the inside distance is equals the compressed length, then the spring will form an arc and each full coil along it length will be bent in the same fashion.

If pi times the inside distance is greater than the compressed length, then the spring is being stretched and the ends closest to the wall will take up most of the bend.

If pi times the inside distance is less that the compressed length, then the spring is loose and can easily flop around. In gravity, it would flop down. Without gravity, it's far more complicated - but it will probably end up spreading away from the attachment points before eventually closing back in along an arc.

Likes Benoit
.Scott said:
If pi times the inside distance is greater than the compressed length, then the spring is being stretched and the ends closest to the wall will take up most of the bend.
Can you explain why is this happening and quantitatively describe the difference between the tensions ?

Could you explain to me, why the spring forms a U-shape (Under the action of which forces?)

Qwertywerty said:
Could you explain to me, why the spring forms a U-shape (Under the action of which forces?)
Gravitational force of course, so the U-shape can be explained by the center of mass. The problem I have is that I don't get why the tension doesn't seem constant everywhere.

Tension being constant in a spring/ string is subject to a constraint. What is it?

I think if you draw a free body diagram for a coil in the middle and another one for the coil near the wall, you may find that the sum of the tensions (the pulling force that acts on the coil) for the coil near the wall is greater than the sum of tensions that pulls the coil in the middle. Perhaps, that is why the separation distance is greater at the wall than at the middle because the coil near the wall is pulled harder than the one in the middle.

Likes Benoit
Qwertywerty said:
Tension being constant in a spring/ string is subject to a constraint. What is it?
We consider the mass as negligible ? Or equally distributed across the length ?

Leong said:
I think if you draw a free body diagram for a coil in the middle and another one for the coil near the wall, you may find that the sum of the tensions (the pulling force that acts on the coil) for the coil near the wall is greater than the sum of tensions that pulls the coil in the middle. Perhaps, that is why the separation distance is greater at the wall than at the middle because the coil near the wall is pulled harder than the one in the middle.
I agree with this. Is the sum of the tensions that pulls the coil in the middle is lower because the gravitational force we have to consider here is only the weight of a single coil, instead of the case where we consider a coil near the wall, where we have to consider the weight of the coils below it?

Benoit said:
We consider the mass as negligible ? Or equally distributed across the length ?
We assume negligible mass.
Benoit said:
I agree with this. Is the sum of the tensions that pulls the coil in the middle is lower because the gravitational force we have to consider here is only the weight of a single coil, instead of the case where we consider a coil near the wall, where we have to consider the weight of the coils below it?
What does 'single coil' mean? You may want to rephrase that. But yes, as we consider a larger mass of the spring (symmetrically, about the center) as our system, a greater spring force is required to balance the said system's weight. And from the equation ##F = kx ##, we get the result you desire.

Likes Benoit
Qwertywerty said:
What does 'single coil' mean
It was really unclear, pardon me. When I draw a free body diagram, I draw one that considers only a ring of the coil in the middle (a single loop). The forces applied on this ring are weaker than the forces applied on a ring near the wall, because in the last situation, the weight of the rings below the upper one are pulling it down. Is this right ?

That's correct. You finally got it. Congratulations:smile:

Likes Benoit
Qwertywerty said:
That's correct. You finally got it. Congratulations:smile:
Many thanks for your time :smile:

1. What is tension in a spring?

Tension in a spring is the force exerted by the spring when it is pulled or stretched. It is caused by the elastic properties of the spring material.

2. How is tension in a spring measured?

Tension in a spring is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons. This can be done using a spring scale or by calculating the force using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its extension.

3. What factors affect tension in a spring?

The tension in a spring is affected by its length, thickness, and material. Additionally, the amount of weight or force applied to the spring can also affect its tension.

4. How can the difference in tension between two springs be found?

The difference in tension between two springs can be found by measuring the tension of each spring individually and then subtracting the smaller tension from the larger tension. This will give you the difference in tension between the two springs.

5. Why is it important to find the difference in tension between two springs?

Finding the difference in tension between two springs is important for understanding how the springs will behave in a system or mechanism. It can also help determine whether the springs are balanced or if one spring is exerting more force than the other, which could affect the overall performance of the system.