Tension in a String: Is T1 > T2?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the tension between two masses connected by a string and a pulley. The tension is assumed to be the same throughout the string, and if the pulley is massless and frictionless, the tension on both sides of the pulley will be the same. If the pulley has some mass, its moment of inertia can be used to find the tension. Ultimately, the question is whether the tension T1 is greater than T2, and it has been answered in post #6.
physics kiddy
I have attached a pic with my question. I want to know if T1>T2 or not.

As much as I know, Tension in a string = Earth's Gravitational force. But this question is quite confusing.

Attachments

• tension!.jpg
    tension!.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
T=2m1m2g
----------
(m1+m2)

t2 would be greater if the mass in t2 is greater than the mass in t1

physics kiddy said:
I have attached a pic with my question. I want to know if T1>T2 or not.
Is the pulley massless and frictionless? That's the key.
As much as I know, Tension in a string = Earth's Gravitational force.
Careful! That's not true. In general you'll have to solve for the tension in the string by applying Newton's 2nd law.

T1 has a mass greater than T2.

physics kiddy said:
T1 has a mass greater than T2.
I don't know what you mean. T1 and T2 are tensions. Regardless of the size of the mass on the ends of the string segment, the tension on both sides of a massless and frictionless pulley will be the same.

Since the mass on each side of the pulley is the same (2m on each side, added up), it turns out that in this particular case the tension T1 = T2 = 2mg. (The masses don't accelerate.)

Agree completely with DocAl and will add that the tension in a string is the same everywher... all the way along it.
There is no resultant force on this system so it is either at rest or moving with constant velocity (speed) in one direction or the other.
The only string with a different tension is between the 2 masses m and m ...the tension in here will be mg
The tensions T1 and T2 will be 2mg

I personally think that T2 was meant for the second string connecting the masses on the right side of the pulley. Because usually the pulley doesn't have mass (for beginner class) and the tension is uniform in one continuous string (and this is assumed rather than stated). So... I worked out the problem w these assumptions below. Check it out. So the solution looks like T1>T2.

Attachments

• Tension in a string.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 194
technician said:
Agree completely with DocAl and will add that the tension in a string is the same everywher... all the way along it.

Only if the string is also of negligible mass :biggrin:

And if the pulley has some mass, you can find its moment of inertia and apply the equations of torque:

[itex]T_1 R - T_2 R = I\alpha = \frac{Ia}{R}[/itex]

Here I is moment of inertia of pulley and R is its radius ...

And if pulley has no mass, I=0 ...

I apologize for confusing you all. I am sorry. I have cleared my doubts with the question. The question was that there's a pulley and two masses 2m and m are tied to the opposite ends of the pulley as shown in the figure. The tension between 2m and pulley is T1 and between m and pulley is T2. Is the tension T1>T2?

The pulley and string are assumed to be massless and frictionless.

Attachments

• Tension2.jpg
    Tension2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
physics kiddy said:
The tension between 2m and pulley is T1 and between m and pulley is T2.
Are you sure that T2 refers to the tension between m and the pulley and not between m and m?

(Is this your diagram, or the one given with the problem?)

Yes, I am sure.

physics kiddy said:
Yes, I am sure.
In that case, your question has already been answered.

I can't figure out where the answer is. Please explain it once again. Thanks

physics kiddy said:
I can't figure out where the answer is. Please explain it once again. Thanks
See post #6.

1. What causes tension in a string?

Tension in a string is caused by a pulling force applied at both ends of the string. This creates a resistance to the force and results in the string becoming taut.

2. How is tension in a string measured?

Tension in a string is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons. This can be done using a tension meter or by calculating the force required to stretch the string a certain distance.

3. What is the difference between T1 and T2 in relation to tension in a string?

T1 and T2 refer to the tension at two different points along the string. T1 is the tension at one end of the string, while T2 is the tension at the other end. The difference between T1 and T2 is dependent on the amount of force applied at each end and the properties of the string.

4. Is T1 always greater than T2 in a string?

Not necessarily. The tension at each end of a string can vary depending on the force applied and the properties of the string. T1 may be greater than T2 if more force is applied at that end, but this is not always the case.

5. How does the length of a string affect tension?

The longer the string, the more tension it can withstand before breaking. This is because longer strings have more material and can distribute the force applied over a larger area, resulting in less tension at any given point along the string.