Tension in a System: Is My Answer Wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving two blocks connected by a string and a pulley. The problem is similar to one the person previously posted, but the answer given is different. The person is trying to solve the problem and has made some mistakes in their diagram. The expert advises them to make sure their diagram matches the given problem in order to get the correct answer.
goldfish9776

Homework Statement

Isn’t this question same concept as the note as I posted ? I found

P = T + F1+F2= 50(0.3)(9.81) + 50(0.3)(9.81) + (50+100)(0.35)(9.81) = 809.3N

But the ans given is 662.2 N ..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20150626_145554[1].jpg
    IMG_20150626_145554[1].jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 366
  • 04.png
    04.png
    84.2 KB · Views: 350
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the FBD for block B alone. What are the forces acting on block B? Does T act on block B?

gneill said:
Draw the FBD for block B alone. What are the forces acting on block B? Does T act on block B?
gneill said:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 324
The question for which the given answer is 662.2N does not have a pulley nor a rope attached to the right of B. Why did you add those to the diagram?

goldfish9776 said:
the question is actually same as the notes that i post , right ?
Actually , i have asked this question earlier...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-tension-of-string.820812/page-2#post-5156741
In the first post of this thread, you attached two problem statements as images.
The first one is a copy the question in the earlier thread. This has the two blocks connected via a string which passes around a pulley (not shown) attached to a wall. Another string pulls on the lower block.
The second image shows the top block tied to a wall. Only one string attaches to the lower block, and there is no pulley. You appear to have drawn in a second string, making it look like the first problem. The two problems are different. If you modify it to look like the first problem then of course you will get the wrong answer.

haruspex said:
In the first post of this thread, you attached two problem statements as images.
The first one is a copy the question in the earlier thread. This has the two blocks connected via a string which passes around a pulley (not shown) attached to a wall. Another string pulls on the lower block.
The second image shows the top block tied to a wall. Only one string attaches to the lower block, and there is no pulley. You appear to have drawn in a second string, making it look like the first problem. The two problems are different. If you modify it to look like the first problem then of course you will get the wrong answer.
ok , noticed my mistakes

What is tension in a system?

Tension in a system refers to the force that is transmitted through a medium, such as a rope or cable, when it is pulled at both ends. It is a measure of the internal forces within a system that keep it in equilibrium.

How is tension calculated?

Tension is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity, and then adding any additional forces acting on the object. The formula for tension is T = mg + F, where T is tension, m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and F is any additional forces.

What factors affect tension in a system?

The factors that affect tension in a system include the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and any additional forces acting on the object. The type of material and the length of the medium can also affect tension.

Why is it important to consider tension in a system?

Tension is important to consider in a system because it can impact the stability and equilibrium of the system. If the tension is too high, the system can become unstable and potentially fail. Additionally, understanding tension can help in the design and construction of structures to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them.

Is my answer wrong if the tension in a system is negative?

No, a negative tension value simply indicates that the forces acting on the system are in opposite directions. This can occur when the object is in motion or when there are multiple forces acting on the object. As long as the calculation is done correctly, a negative tension value does not necessarily mean the answer is wrong.