1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in cables help please!

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I'm actually teaching myself some basic mechanics/physics at the moment and I'm having difficulty getting my head around all the ideas.

Basically I've been reading up on a cables problem where a flexible, uniform cable of length L has its two ends held at a distance 'd' apart at the same height/level.

There is a corresponding graph which shows the relation between the tension and the length. The tension is large when L is small, and starts decreasing and attaining a minimum before increasing and becoming large again as L gets bigger.

Can anyone explain to me why this is so? Many thanks!!!

[​IMG]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2
    Was this in a book or online? If online, could you please give me the link?

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3
    Hi, this was in a book, sorry!

5. Nov 14, 2007 #4
    Is 'd' constant?

6. Nov 14, 2007 #5
    Yes, the distance is constant

7. Nov 14, 2007 #6
    Well, if you're treating the cable like it has mass, I think the tension would be coming from the increasing force of gravity.

EDIT: Also, are we speaking merely of magnitude here?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  8. Nov 14, 2007 #7
    hmm i think so, im not too sure actually.

But why is tension large when the length is L = 1? and then it decreases? I can understand that if the cable gets longer, then there is more force needed in holding it up.

9. Nov 14, 2007 #8
    Because initially the cable is taught, that is, when L = d. When L increases just a little, T shoots down very fast because the length can't really "feel" the force. It's like if you're holding a length of string tight between two hands and then you move them in just a little bit, you feel the tension in the drop off incredibly.

10. Nov 14, 2007 #9
    Oh I see! that makes sense now :smile:

that's brilliant thank you! Thanks for your help :biggrin:

11. Nov 14, 2007 #10
    Of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?