1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in Cord

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two masses M1 = .600kg and M2 = 2.2kg connected by a cord of negligible mass and passes over a frictionless pulley of negligible mass. Assuming that y axis has a positive upward direction, what is the tension in the cord?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma

W = mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first tried to add up the Fg for both masses under the assumption that the opposing force would be the tension.

I then subtracted the larger Fg from the smaller Fg which was also wrong.

I then came upon this and tried to follow the process discussed there. I tried to solve for a based on the posts discussed in the other thread but was lost on posts 9 and 10 (NEwayz, back to what I did).

I found the equations of the two blocks to be T - m1g = m1a and m2g - T = m2a.
    this makes T = m1a + m1g = m2g - m2a.
    Plugging in the numbers gives 5.88N + .6a = 21.56N - 2.2a
    solving for a gives a = 5.6ms-2
    Plugging this back into the T equation gives a T of 9.24N
    I then double the T because there is T working on both ends of the rope and get 18.48N.
    I turns out that this is an incorrect answer and I am now out of ideas. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You don't double T. The tension T is acting throughout the rope. It isn't T on one side and T on the other giving 2T total.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?