Tension in massless string

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two masses connected by a string on a frictionless table. A force is applied to one of the masses, and the question asks about the work done by the normal force on both masses. The person solving the problem is struggling to find the force of tension without knowing the acceleration and is seeking help.

Homework Statement

A mass m1 = 5.8 kg rests on a frictionless table and connected by a massless string to another mass m2 = 5.2 kg. A force of magnitude F = 30 N pulls m1 to the left a distance d = 0.87 m.
2)How much work is done by the normal force on m1 and m2?

Homework Equations

Δk=Wnet

The Attempt at a Solution

I was solving for V final when I realized that tension does work. How can you find the force of tension for this problem without the acceleration? I keep running in circles. Textbooks, etc. don't alleviate the headache. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshappy0 said:

Homework Statement

A mass m1 = 5.8 kg rests on a frictionless table and connected by a massless string to another mass m2 = 5.2 kg. A force of magnitude F = 30 N pulls m1 to the left a distance d = 0.87 m.
2)How much work is done by the normal force on m1 and m2?

Homework Equations

Δk=Wnet

The Attempt at a Solution

I was solving for V final when I realized that tension does work. How can you find the force of tension for this problem without the acceleration? I keep running in circles. Textbooks, etc. don't alleviate the headache. Help!

Is there a part 1 you are solving , but haven't told us about?

1. What is tension in a massless string?

Tension in a massless string refers to the amount of force or pulling that is applied to the string. It is a measure of the stretching or pulling force that is exerted along the length of the string.

2. Why is a massless string used in scientific experiments?

A massless string is used in scientific experiments because it is assumed to have no weight or mass, which simplifies calculations and allows for clearer understanding of the effects of other forces on the object being studied. In reality, massless strings do not exist, but the concept is a useful tool in theoretical and experimental physics.

3. Can a massless string actually exist?

No, a massless string cannot exist in reality. All physical objects have some amount of mass, and a string would need mass in order to exist. However, the concept of a massless string is useful in theoretical and experimental physics to simplify calculations and understand the effects of other forces on the object being studied.

4. How is tension in a massless string calculated?

Tension in a massless string can be calculated using the formula T = F * cosθ, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle between the string and the direction of the applied force. However, this calculation only holds true for idealized massless strings and may not accurately represent real-world situations.

5. What happens to tension in a massless string when the applied force changes?

If the applied force on a massless string changes, the tension in the string will also change. This is because tension is directly proportional to the applied force. As the force increases, the tension will also increase, and vice versa. However, if the angle between the string and the applied force changes, the tension may also be affected, as determined by the formula T = F * cosθ.

Suggested for: Tension in massless string

Back