Finding Tension in Rotating Rod: What is the Function of T(x)?

In summary, a thin uniform rod of length l and density d is rotating with angular velocity ω about an axis passing through one of its ends and perpendicular to it. To find the tension in the rod as a function of x (x= distance from the axis of rotation), we can consider a small length dx at distance x from the axis. For equilibrium of the rod, the equation T = T-dT + dmω^2 x can be used, where T is the tension at the outer end of dx, dT is the change in the function T(x), and dm is the mass of the small length dx. By integrating this equation, we can obtain T(x) = (d*a*ω^2*(x^
manasi bandhaokar
a thin uniform rod of length l and density d is rotating with angular velocityω about an axis passing through one of its ends and perpendicular to it.find the tension int the rod as a function of x.(x= dist from axis of rotation).area of cross section = a

attempt at solution:

consider a small of length dx at dist x from axis.
upload_2016-4-24_21-45-30.png

for equilibrium of rod T = T-dT + dmω^2 x
dT = dm ω^2 x
integrating
T(x) =(d * a* ω^2 (x^2 - l^2))/2
this is negative of answer.where am i wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex] are the cross-sectional area and the density of the rod, respectively.

Your second equation, the one for [itex]dT[/itex], seems ok to me. I do not understand how can you obtain your last result from it. What are the limits of your integral?
Seems to me you're missing a sign in the integration, or, equivalently, you are swapping the integration limits.

Further to @FranzDiCoccio 's comments, since it is a thin rod I would interpret "density" as meaning mass per unit length. You do not need a variable for the cross sectional area.

manasi bandhaokar said:
for equilibrium of rod T = T-dT + dmω^2 x
dT = dm ω^2 x
integrating
T(x) =(d * a* ω^2 (x^2 - l^2))/2
this is negative of answer.where am i wrong?
I think the problem is associated with the minus sign in writing T - dT for the tension at the outer end of dx. The change in the function T(x) as you go from x to x + dx should be written as dT not - dT. The change in the function will be a negative quantity. So, the value of T at x+dx is T + dT where dT is a negative quantity.

By writing the tension at x + dx as T - dT, your symbol dT does not represent the change in the function T(x), it's the negative of the change in T(x).

Last edited:
TSny said:
I think the problem is associated with the minus sign in writing T - dT for the tension at the outer end of dx. The change in the function T(x) as you go from x to x + dx should be written as dT not - dT. The change in the function will be a negative quantity. So, the value of T at x+dx is T + dT where dT is a negative quantity.

By writing the tension at x + dx as T - dT, your symbol dT does not represent the change in the function T(x), it's the negative of the change in T(x).
oh!
thanks!

1. What is tension in a rotating rod?

Tension in a rotating rod refers to the force applied to the rod in order to keep it rotating at a constant speed or to prevent it from breaking due to the centrifugal force.

2. How is tension affected by the rotation speed of the rod?

The tension in a rotating rod increases as the rotation speed increases. This is because the centrifugal force acting on the rod increases with the square of the rotation speed.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rotating rod?

The tension in a rotating rod is affected by the rotation speed, the length and thickness of the rod, the material it is made of, and the angle at which it is being rotated.

4. How does the angle of rotation affect the tension in a rotating rod?

The tension in a rotating rod is highest when it is rotated at a perpendicular angle to the force acting on it. As the angle decreases, the tension decreases as well.

5. How can the tension in a rotating rod be calculated?

The tension in a rotating rod can be calculated using the formula T = m * v² / r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the rod, v is the rotation speed, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the tension is being measured.