1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in rotating rod.

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    a thin uniform rod of length l and density d is rotating with angular velocityω about an axis passing through one of its ends and perpendicular to it.find the tension int the rod as a function of x.(x= dist from axis of rotation).area of cross section = a

attempt at solution:

consider a small of length dx at dist x from axis.
    upload_2016-4-24_21-45-30.png
    for equilibrium of rod T = T-dT + dmω^2 x
    dT = dm ω^2 x
    integrating
    T(x) =(d * a* ω^2 (x^2 - l^2))/2
    this is negative of answer.where am i wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2
    I guess that [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex] are the cross-sectional area and the density of the rod, respectively.

Your second equation, the one for [itex]dT[/itex], seems ok to me. I do not understand how can you obtain your last result from it. What are the limits of your integral?
    Seems to me you're missing a sign in the integration, or, equivalently, you are swapping the integration limits.

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Further to @FranzDiCoccio 's comments, since it is a thin rod I would interpret "density" as meaning mass per unit length. You do not need a variable for the cross sectional area.

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the problem is associated with the minus sign in writing T - dT for the tension at the outer end of dx. The change in the function T(x) as you go from x to x + dx should be written as dT not - dT. The change in the function will be a negative quantity. So, the value of T at x+dx is T + dT where dT is a negative quantity.

By writing the tension at x + dx as T - dT, your symbol dT does not represent the change in the function T(x), it's the negative of the change in T(x).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. May 13, 2016 #5
    oh!
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted