Tension in a Simple Pendulum: Calculating Tension at Rest and at an Angle

In summary, the tension in the string when the pendulum is not moving (i.e. at the 'bottom') is approximately 0.98N. The tension when it is at 30° to the vertical is approximately 0.15N. However, for a more accurate calculation, the velocity of the pendulum at that point must also be known. The simple pendulum approximation for period may not be accurate for larger swing angles, as it assumes that sin(Θ)~~Θ.
gmmstr827

Homework Statement

A 100g pendulum bob hangs from a 1 meter string. What is the tension in the string when the pendulum is not moving (i.e. at the 'bottom')? What is the tension when it is at 30° to the vertical?

Homework Equations

100g=.1kg
g=-9.8m/s^2
F_t=-mgcos(Θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tension when not moving:
F_t=-mgcos(Θ)=-(.1kg)(-9.8m/s^2)cos(0)=.98N

Tension at 30° to the vertical:
F_t=-mgcos(Θ)=-(.1kg)(-9.8m/s^2)cos(30°)≈.15N

Is that correct?
My main dilemma is that my professor told us when a pendulum exceeds a 15° swing angle, that it can no longer be considered a simple pendulum and goes by more complicated physics, however, this pendulum swings to twice that angle.
Also, when I put this on a different site, someone answered and said "The tension at any angle cannot be known unless you also know its velocity at that point."

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
gmmstr827 said:

Homework Statement

A 100g pendulum bob hangs from a 1 meter string. What is the tension in the string when the pendulum is not moving (i.e. at the 'bottom')? What is the tension when it is at 30° to the vertical?

Homework Equations

100g=.1kg
g=-9.8m/s^2
F_t=-mgcos(Θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tension when not moving:
F_t=-mgcos(Θ)=-(.1kg)(-9.8m/s^2)cos(0)=.98N

Tension at 30° to the vertical:
F_t=-mgcos(Θ)=-(.1kg)(-9.8m/s^2)cos(30°)≈.15N

Is that correct?
My main dilemma is that my professor told us when a pendulum exceeds a 15° swing angle, that it can no longer be considered a simple pendulum and goes by more complicated physics, however, this pendulum swings to twice that angle.
Also, when I put this on a different site, someone answered and said "The tension at any angle cannot be known unless you also know its velocity at that point."

Thoughts?

Your professor is correct in terms of the simple pendulum approximation for period. In solving the differential equation to come up with T=2*Pi*sqrt(L/g), the assumption was made that sin(Θ)~~Θ, but really, that truncates the series representation of sin(Θ) at only one term. To be accurate, one should go out more terms, but it gets rather complicated quickly.

If the pendulum is swinging through the bottom, it is experiencing a greater tension because it also has a net acceleration (T exceeds mg, giving the centripetal acceleration up to the point of rotation), and by extension, it has a different tension at all points on the path of its swing if it has a non-zero velocity, changing velocity due to the centripetal acceleration.

The question would be clearer if it asked "What is the tension in the string when it is held stationary at 30deg from the vertical, by a force acting perpendicular to the vertical (i.e. your hand)." Otherwise, you have an unbalanced force and it makes for a bit of confusion.

1. What is tension in a simple pendulum?

Tension in a simple pendulum refers to the force exerted by the string or rod that holds the pendulum's weight. It is responsible for keeping the pendulum swinging back and forth in a regular motion.

2. How does tension affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

Tension plays a crucial role in determining the period, or the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one swing, of a simple pendulum. The higher the tension, the shorter the period, and vice versa.

3. What factors can affect the tension in a simple pendulum?

The tension in a simple pendulum can be affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the pendulum's weight, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. These factors can alter the force exerted by the string and therefore change the tension.

4. Can tension be measured in a simple pendulum?

Yes, tension in a simple pendulum can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. The measurement of tension is typically expressed in units of newtons (N).

5. Is there a maximum tension that a simple pendulum can have?

The maximum tension in a simple pendulum is determined by the weight of the pendulum's weight and the acceleration due to gravity. As the pendulum swings, the tension can reach a maximum at the bottom of the swing when the weight is moving at its fastest speed.