1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in the rotating chain

1. Jun 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A metallic chain with a length ‘l’ andd whose ends are joined together is fitted onto a wooden disc as shown in the figure.The disc rotates with a speed of n revolutions per second.Find the tension of the chain T if its mass is m.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly I have very little idea about how to approach this problem .

All I know is that every part of the chain is undergoing centripetal acceleration as the chain is rotating .Since the speed is constant there would be no tangential acceleration.

ω = 2nπ

Please help me with this problem .

Thanks .

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, centripetal acceleration requires a centripetal force. What can possibly be the source of that force ?
    Think of a ring of people holding hands and dancing around with considerable speed. What if a hand lets go ?

4. Jun 11, 2014 #3
    Component of tension in the radial direction. But how do I find that component ?

The ring will fall apart .

5. Jun 11, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To find that radial component, draw a section of the chain and note that the vector sum of the tensions points just where you want it !

6. Jun 17, 2014 #5
    Sorry for the late response .

I still don't understand how to approach this problem.

7. Jun 17, 2014 #6
    Doesn't the wooden disc play any role in providing centripetal force to the chain ?

8. Jun 17, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not really. How could it? All it can do is push radially outward (a normal force!), which doesn't help: it is in an altogether wrong direction ! Iron doesn't have a tendency to stick to wood by some physical force...

Did you draw a section of the chain and discover how the sum of the tensions working on it points in a desirable direction ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted