1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in the upper cables

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An abstract sculpture is constructed by suspending a sphere of polished rock along the vertical with four cables connected to a square wooden frame 1.7 m. If the stone has mass m = 5.2 kg, and the bottom two cables are under a tension of 25 N each, what is the tension in each top cable?

The picture just shows a square with a ball in the middle and 4 cables on each side.

2. Relevant equations

I don't know what equation to use. I know that it is not accelerating but that is all the I know.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that it may be the tension given because the top would hold more. I also tried half that and quadruple that. None of the other people in my class were able to figure it out.

I really just need someone to explain it to me.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Without a picture, I'm envisioning a square open frame standing vertically, with the sphere suspended in the center, supported by 4 cables, each of which is attached to the corners of the frame, making an X pattern Is this correct?

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    Yes, it is basically an X with a ball in the middle.

5. Sep 23, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Draw a free body diagram of the sphere (isolate it to draw the forces acting on it). It's weight will act veritically down, acting away from the sphere, and the 2 lower tension forces as given (25 N each) pull away from the sphere, each at a 45 degree angle, left or right of the vertical. The 2 unknown top tension forces also pull away from the sphere, at a 45 degree angle, left or right of the vertical. Since, as you have noted, the sphere is in equilibrium, use Newton's 1st law in both the x and y directions to solve for the value of the tensions in the upper cords (you can make use of the symmetry of the problem to make it even easier).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook