1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in two cables

1. Feb 9, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Tension in two cables

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    21.0 kg loudspeaker is suspended 2.40 m below the ceiling by two 3.90 m long cables that angle outward at equal angles.

The attempt at a solution
    So my homework comes from the MasteryingPhysics online homework.

What I first start out with is my free body diagram. I have 3 arrows, one pointing down for weight of the speakers by the earth (Wse) and two arrows pointing up diagonally (Ts1 and Ts2). Since the speaker is static you have Ts1 + Ts2 + Wse = 0.

That was about as far as I could go. I then looked up information in my book but couldn't find much and so I resorted to the internet. I came across this page: http://science.palomar.edu/physics/Physics230/Tutor/4-31.html
    I used the equation they give T = mg/2sin(theta)

I set a x-y axis starting with the speaker as the origin. I find the triangle that one string forms with the y-axis and the ceiling.

I find the angle that corresponds with the picture on the page I found and plug in the information I have into the equation: T = (21*9.81)/(2sin(37.98))

Putting this data into the answer box, I get the feedback: "Remember to use radians, not degrees, in arguments to trigonometric functions."

I don't lose any attempts with the answer so I think I'm on the right track but I don't know what to do at this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2008 #2
    It sounds to me like the angle is a 3-4-5 triangle. Don't use 2sin(37.98) in the denominator, it is at best an approximation.
    Use 2(3/5). When you are given those little reference triangles (dont know actual names), just remember your trig SOH CAH TOA. Since you are looking for the sin, which is S=O/H, that should give you 3/5. Thats all you need. Multiply it bye the magnitude 2.

For your answer im getting 171.675.

Mastering physics is a good HW site, but just be aware that they are occasional mistakes too.
    Good luck and I hope this helped.

Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?