How Does Tension Vary Along a Whirling Rope?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a uniform rope of mass M and length L, which is pivoted at one end and rotating with uniform angular velocity ω. The solution involves considering a differential element and using the equation F=ma to find the tension T at a distance r from the pivot. The conversation also touches on the potential impact of gravity on the problem, but ultimately the solution focuses on neglecting gravity.
decentfellow

Homework Statement

A uniform rope of mass ##M## and length ##L## is pivoted at one end and whirls with uniform angular velocity ##\omega##. What is the tension in the rope at distance ##r## from the pivot? Neglect gravity.
scan0001.png

Homework Equations

$$\vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the differential element as shown in the figure.
FBD of differential element.PNG

I considered the setup of the tension acting on the differential element as such because I thought that net force that should be acting on the differential element should be in the direction of the centripetal acceleration. So, we get
$$T+dT-T=(dm)\omega^2x\implies dT=\left(\dfrac{M}{L}\omega^2x\right)dx$$
On, integrating the expression with proper limits we get
$$\int^{T}_{T_0}{dT}=\int^{r}_{0}\left({\dfrac{M}{L}\omega^2x}\right)dx \implies T-T_0=\dfrac{M}{2L}\omega^2r^2$$
Now, to find ##T_0##, we put the value of that ##T## which acts at the end of the rope. The value of ##T##, i.e. the value of the tension acting in the direction opposite to the direction of the acceleration of the element we see that the value of ##T## is ##0## as there is no tension acting in the outward direction of the rope.

So, we get $$-T_0=\dfrac{M}{2L}\omega^2L^2\implies T_0=-\dfrac{M}{2L}\omega^2L^2$$

$$\therefore T=T_0+\dfrac{M}{2L}\omega^2r^2=\dfrac{M}{2L}\omega^2\left(r^2-L^2\right)$$

The answer that I get has an opposite sign than that of the book's, which is ##\dfrac{M}{2L}\omega^2(L^2-r^2)##. Is it because the direction in which I considered ##T## to act is opposite to what I had assumed. If that is so, then doesn't that mean that ##T+dT(\gt T)## is in the direction opposite to that of the centripetal acceleration, so how would the centripetal acceleration be supplied to the differential element if the net force is in the direction opposite to that of the centripetal accleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have defined the change in the x coordinate as the right minus left value of x while defining the change in the tension as the left value minus the right. This gives you a sign error.

Orodruin said:
You have defined the change in the x coordinate as the right minus left value of x while defining the change in the tension as the left value minus the right. This gives you a sign error.
But shouldn't the gravity increase as we go towards the center of the circle in which the circle whirls. Does, it just mean that the expression ##dT=\left(\dfrac{M}{L}\omega^2x\right)dx## should be ##dT=-\left(\dfrac{M}{L}\omega^2x\right)dx##.

Also, I had not read the "neglect gravity" part of the question so I was thinking that what should be the minimum velocity for which the whole of the rope rotates , i.e. the rope doesn't slacken anywhere while rotating. And I was not able to think of a way to approach this problem, if you can suggest how to attempt it would be very helpful.

decentfellow said:
But shouldn't the gravity increase as we go towards the center of the circle in which the circle whirls.
"Gravity" does not. The tension does. You must define dT and dx in compatible ways. You cannot take the difference for the x coordinate one way and the difference in the tension another and then expect to get the correct result.

decentfellow said:
Does, it just mean that the expression dT=(MLω2x)dxdT=(MLω2x)dxdT=\left(\dfrac{M}{L}\omega^2x\right)dx should be dT=−(MLω2x)dxdT=−(MLω2x)dxdT=-\left(\dfrac{M}{L}\omega^2x\right)dx.
Yes.

Orodruin said:
"Gravity" does not.
My bad. It was a silly mistake on my part I was thinking of what I had mentioned in the last part of the post, but I meant tension only.

Also, can you tell me how to interpret the situation that I have mentioned in the last part of the previous post.

decentfellow said:
Also, can you tell me how to interpret the situation that I have mentioned in the last part of the previous post.
Do you mean, if gravity is not ignored? It might be like a catenary, except that the horizontal component of tension is not constant.

haruspex said:
Do you mean, if gravity is not ignored? It might be like a catenary
If what you say about the shape of the rope being that of a catenary, then it would look like this am I correct.
geogebra-export.png

But as you can see in the figure too I am not able to get the length of the differential element of the rope.
haruspex said:
except that the horizontal component of tension is not constant.
Hmm...isn't the vertical component also non-constant.

decentfellow said:

Hmm...isn't the vertical component also non-constant.
In a catenary, the horizontal component of tension is constant but the vertical component varies. Here they will both vary.

haruspex said:
In a catenary, the horizontal component of tension is constant but the vertical component varies. Here they will both vary.
I still can't seem to find a way to tackle this problem. Can you give another hint.

decentfellow said:
I still can't seem to find a way to tackle this problem. Can you give another hint.
The equation including gravity is a very hard differential equation. I can help you get to that if you are determined, but let's deal with the problem as given first, ignoring gravity. Or have you solved that?

haruspex said:
The equation including gravity is a very hard differential equation. I can help you get to that if you are determined, but let's deal with the problem as given first, ignoring gravity. Or have you solved that?
Yes, I have solved it with the help that I received from Orodruin.

decentfellow said:
Yes, I have solved it with the help that I received from Orodruin.
Ok.
For the gravitational case, consider an element of horizontal length dx at horizontal distance x from the tether.
Suppose the element makes angle θ to the horizontal at one end and θ+dθ at the other.
Similarly, let the tension be T at one end and T+dT at the other.
If it has linear density ρ and the rotation rate is ω, what is the mass of the element and what are the forces on it?

haruspex said:
Ok.
For the gravitational case, consider an element of horizontal length dx at horizontal distance x from the tether.
Suppose the element makes angle θ to the horizontal at one end and θ+dθ at the other.
Similarly, let the tension be T at one end and T+dT at the other.
If it has linear density ρ and the rotation rate is ω, what is the mass of the element and what are the forces on it?
Hmm...I was thinking of doing it by considering ##dx## and ##dy## as the differentials for the horizontal and the vertical heights respectively, but the ##d\theta## differential is always handy, don't know why I didn't think of it. Now then ,what I did is as shown as follows:-

abrakadabra.png

The horizontal length of the differential element as given in the figure is taken as ##dr##, so the length of the differential comes out to be ##dx\sec\theta##.

So, we get the mass of the differential as ##dm=\dfrac{M}{L}\sec\theta dr##

Now, dealing with the horizontal force equation of the differential we get
$$T\cos{(\theta+d\theta)}-(T+dT)\cos\theta=dm(\omega^2r) \\
\implies T\cos\theta-T\sin\theta d\theta-T\cos\theta-\cos\theta dT=\dfrac{M\sec\theta}{L}\omega^2rdr$$
$$\implies T\sin\theta d\theta+\cos\theta dT=-\dfrac{M\sec\theta}{L}\omega^2rdr \tag{1}$$

And doing the same for the vertical force equation we get
$$T\sin{(\theta+d\theta)}=(T+dT)\sin{\theta}+dmg$$
$$\implies T\cos\theta d\theta-dT\sin\theta=\dfrac{Mg\sec\theta}{L}dr\tag{2}$$

$$(1) + (2) \implies T(\sin\theta+\cos\theta)d\theta +(\cos\theta-\sin\theta)dT=\dfrac{M\sec\theta}{L}(g-\omega^2r)dr$$

Now only if there was no ##\sec\theta## in RHS it would have been a lot easier, but am I going the right track.

decentfellow said:
am I going the right track.
Yes, that's a good start. I would have put θ on the left and θ+dθ on the right to be consistent. As you have it you will have to be careful with signs.
For ease of writing, I would write ρ for a linear density to replace M/L.

There's not much point in adding the two equations together like that at the end. It loses information without eliminating a variable.
Manipulate the equations to get an equation without T' (by which I mean dT/dr) into the form T=... Differentiate that to get an equation for T'. You can then use those equations to eliminate T and T' from one of your two equations.
Note that you will then have a second order differential equation. That's the price for eliminating a variable.

haruspex said:
I would have put θ on the left and θ+dθ on the right to be consistent.
I am sick of these differentials, what you think is the correct one is not correct because of the convention you are following:headbang:. It also makes the expression for ##\dfrac{dT}{dr}## a not so good as compared to what it had been before. Anyways, can you tell me the reason as to why you suggest that ##\theta## should be on the left and ##\theta + d\theta## on the right. And, how am I supposed to decide whether the convention for the angle that I have chosen is correct or not. Is it based on the concept that as I have decided that the differential ##dx## is directed in the positive direction, then so should be the differential ##d\theta##, i.e is in anticlockwise direction.

Last edited:
decentfellow said:
can you tell me the reason as to why you suggest that θθ\theta should be on the left and θ+dθθ+dθ\theta + d\theta on the right.
decentfellow said:
Is it based on the concept that as I have decided that the differential dxdxdx is directed in the positive direction, then so should be the differential dθ, i.e is in anticlockwise direction.
Yes. As you have it, dθ/dr>0 would correspond to the slope decreasing as r increases.

haruspex said:
Yes, that's a good start. I would have put θ on the left and θ+dθ on the right to be consistent. As you have it you will have to be careful with signs.
I left as it is because it was a little difficult to deal with the term having two differentials multiplied. Would it change anything except the signs. o_O

haruspex said:
Manipulate the equations to get an equation without T' (by which I mean dT/dr) into the form T=... Differentiate that to get an equation for T'. You can then use those equations to eliminate T and T' from one of your two equations.
Note that you will then have a second order differential equation. That's the price for eliminating a variable.
I did as what you instructed to and what I got was ##\sin\theta=c_1(r-\dfrac{L}{2})##, but on putting ##\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}=\dfrac{c_1}{\cos\theta}## in the expression
$$\dfrac{dT}{dr}=\dfrac{\rho\sec\theta\omega^2r+T\sin\theta\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}}{\cos\theta} \\
=\dfrac{\rho\omega^2r+Tc_1\sin\theta}{\cos^2\theta} \\
\implies \dfrac{dT}{dr}+Tc_1\tan\theta\sec\theta=-\rho\omega^2r\sec\theta$$

On solving the above linear differential equation some ridiculous relation between the variables ##T, \theta \text{and} r##

$$T=\dfrac{\rho\omega^2}{2\sin^2\theta c_1^2}(1+\cos{2\theta})+k_1e^{-\frac{2c_1r\sin\theta}{\cos{2\theta}+1}}-\dfrac{\rho r \omega^2}{c_1\sin\theta}$$

decentfellow said:
I left as it is because it was a little difficult to deal with the term having two differentials multiplied. Would it change anything except the signs. o_OI did as what you instructed to and what I got was ##\sin\theta=c_1(r-\dfrac{L}{2})##, but on putting ##\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}=\dfrac{c_1}{\cos\theta}## in the expression
$$\dfrac{dT}{dr}=\dfrac{\rho\sec\theta\omega^2r+T\sin\theta\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}}{\cos\theta} \\
=\dfrac{\rho\omega^2r+Tc_1\sin\theta}{\cos^2\theta} \\
\implies \dfrac{dT}{dr}+Tc_1\tan\theta\sec\theta=-\rho\omega^2r\sec\theta$$

On solving the above linear differential equation some ridiculous relation between the variables ##T, \theta \text{and} r##

$$T=\dfrac{\rho\omega^2}{2\sin^2\theta c_1^2}(1+\cos{2\theta})+k_1e^{-\frac{2c_1r\sin\theta}{\cos{2\theta}+1}}-\dfrac{\rho r \omega^2}{c_1\sin\theta}$$
I do not understand how you avoided getting a second order DE. You should have got ##T=\rho(g-\omega^2r\tan(\theta))/\theta'##. Differentiating that will give ##\theta''## terms.

haruspex said:
I do not understand how you avoided getting a second order DE. You should have got ##T=\rho(g-\omega^2r\tan(\theta))/\theta'##. Differentiating that will give ##\theta''## terms.
I did get a 2nd order differential equation b/w ##\theta \text{ and } r##, which was ##\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}=\tan\theta\left(\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}\right)^2##, which gives ##\sin\theta=c_1r+c_2##

decentfellow said:
I did get a 2nd order differential equation b/w ##\theta \text{ and } r##, which was ##\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}=\tan\theta\left(\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}\right)^2##, which gives ##\sin\theta=c_1r+c_2##
I thought that I should also show my work, so here goes:-

$$T\cos(\theta+d\theta)-(T+dT)\cos{\theta}=(dm)\omega^2r \\
\implies T\sin\theta\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}+\cos\theta dT= -\rho\sec\theta\omega^2rdr \qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad...(1)$$

From ##(1)##, we get $$\dfrac{dT}{dr}=-\dfrac{\rho\sec\theta\omega^2r+T\sin\theta\frac{d\theta}{dr}}{\cos\theta}$$

From the vertical force equation we see from post #13, that
$$T\cos\theta \dfrac{d\theta}{dr}-\sin\theta dT=\rho g\sec\theta dr \\
\implies T\cos\theta + \tan\theta \left(\rho\sec\theta\omega^2r+T\sin\theta\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}\right)=\rho g\sec\theta \\
\implies T\sec\theta\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}=\rho\sec\theta(g-\omega^2r\tan\theta) \\
\implies T\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}=\rho(g-\omega^2r\tan\theta)$$

Now differentiating the above expression throughout w.r.t ##r##, we get
$$\dfrac{dT}{dr} \dfrac{d\theta}{dr}+T\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}=\rho(-\omega^2r\sec^2\theta)\dfrac{d\theta}{dr} \\
\implies T\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}=T\tan\theta\left(\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}\right)^2$$

On solving the differential equation, we get
$$\sin\theta=c_1r+c_2$$

Now that I see it now it looks like I wrongly concluded the value of the integral constant ##c_2## as ##c_2=-\dfrac{c_1L}{2}##. Well but it was not going to the change the relation that I found in post #17.

decentfellow said:
Now differentiating the above expression throughout w.r.t ##r##, we get
$$\dfrac{dT}{dr} \dfrac{d\theta}{dr}+T\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}=\rho(-\omega^2r\sec^2\theta)\dfrac{d\theta}{dr} \\
\implies T\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}=T\tan\theta\left(\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}\right)^2$$
You omitted to differentiate the r factor on the right.

haruspex said:
You omitted to differentiate the r factor on the right.
Oh no...that was a blunder on my part :headbang:. Although it seems that adding the r factor results in a second order nonlinear differential equation, which I am not able to solve with the level of skills that I have in maths. Moreover, it seems that if I eliminate ##\dfrac{dT}{dr}## from the expression even then I won't be able to eliminate ##T## form the expression. And if I try to eliminate ##\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}##, then its even harder to eliminate the trigonometrical terms from the expression, I won't even bother going that direction. Can you suggest some other way, or is it better to drop it here.

P.S.:- Forgot to write the expression that I got as the second order non-linear differential equation, so here it is.
$$T\cot\theta\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}-T\left(\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}\right)^2=-\rho\omega^2$$

decentfellow said:
, it seems that if I eliminate ##\dfrac{dT}{dr}## from the expression even then I won't be able to eliminate ##T## form the expression.
P.S.:- Forgot to write the expression that I got as the second order non-linear differential equation, so here it is.
$$T\cot\theta\dfrac{d^2\theta}{dr^2}-T\left(\dfrac{d\theta}{dr}\right)^2=-\rho\omega^2$$
In your post #20, in the line preceding
decentfellow said:
Now differentiating the above expression throughout w.r.t r, we get
you have an expression for T in terms of r and theta. Just substitute from that in the equation above. (I have not yet checked whether I get the same.)

1. What is tension in a whirling rope?

Tension in a whirling rope refers to the force that is exerted on the rope due to its circular motion. It is the force that keeps the rope in a curved path and prevents it from flying off in a straight line.

2. How does tension affect the speed of the rope?

Tension has a direct relationship with the speed of the rope. As the tension increases, the speed of the rope also increases. This is because the tension provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the rope moving in a circular path.

3. What factors affect tension in a whirling rope?

The tension in a whirling rope is affected by the mass of the rope, the speed of whirling, and the radius of the circle formed by the rope. A heavier rope or a faster whirling speed will result in a higher tension, while a larger radius will result in a lower tension.

4. How does tension change as the rope is whirled faster?

As the rope is whirled faster, the tension also increases. This is because a faster speed requires a greater centripetal force to keep the rope in a circular path, and tension provides this force.

5. Can tension in a whirling rope be measured?

Yes, tension in a whirling rope can be measured using a spring scale or a force sensor. By attaching the scale or sensor to the rope, the tension force can be measured directly. Additionally, the tension can also be calculated using the mass, speed, and radius of the rope.