Solving Tension of Cable Supporting 56kg Beam - kN

Then, the torque due to the weight of the beam is -56kg * 9.8m/s^2 * 4.2m = -2332.8 N*m. Now, since there is no counterclockwise torque, the clockwise torque must be equal in magnitude but in the opposite direction. Call the tension in the cable T. Then, the torque due to the weight of the masses is T * 2.6m. The total torque is the sum of these two torques, so:T * 2.6m = 2332.8 N*mT = 2332.8 N*m / 2.6mT = 896.5
o0ojeneeo0o

Homework Statement

Two weights attached to a uniform beam of mass 56 kg are supported in a horizontal position by a pin and cable as shown in the figure.The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .

What is the tension in the cable which supports the beam? Answer in units of kN.

hw1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here's what I have thus far... I'm sorry, I know it's not much!

Known:
Mbeam= 56k
Mass 1 = M1 = 22kg
Mass 2 = M2 = 59kg
Force of M1 = F1 = M1g = 215.6N
Force of M2= F2 = M2g = 578.2N
ΣFy = 0
ΣFx = 0
ΣFτ = 0
If ΣFy = 0, then:
0 = Fcy – mg – F1 – F2
If ΣFτ = 0, then:
0 = -mg(4.2m) – F1g(2.6m)

I'd really love it if someone could solve this for me, but it would be even better if someone could walk me through how to get the answer because I honestly have no clue!

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a mistake to use ΣFy = 0 because you don't know what force acts at the pivot point on the wall. Instead, use the sum of the torques = 0. Take the torques about that pivot point marked with a big black dot.

Hello,

To solve this problem, we can use the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the beam and weights are not moving, so the sum of all forces and torques acting on them must be equal to zero.

First, we need to draw a free body diagram of the beam and weights. We can label the tension in the cable as T, and the distance between the pin and the center of mass of the beam as d.

Now, we can write out the equations of static equilibrium:

ΣFy = 0 : This means that the sum of all forces in the y-direction must be equal to zero.

T - Mbeam*g - M1*g - M2*g = 0

ΣFτ = 0 : This means that the sum of all torques must be equal to zero.

-T*d + Mbeam*g*d + M1*g*(d/2) + M2*g*(d/2) = 0

We can solve these equations simultaneously to find the tension in the cable, T.

T = (Mbeam*g + M1*g + M2*g) / (1 + d/d + d/2 + d/2)

T = (56*9.8 + 22*9.8 + 59*9.8) / (1 + 4.2 + 2.6 + 2.6) = 1474.8 N

To convert this to kN, we can divide by 1000.

T = 1474.8 / 1000 = 1.47 kN

Therefore, the tension in the cable supporting the beam is 1.47 kN. I hope this helps!

1. How do I calculate the tension of a cable supporting a 56kg beam in kN?

To calculate the tension of a cable supporting a 56kg beam in kN, you will need to use the following formula: T = mg, where T is the tension in kN, m is the mass of the object in kg, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). In this case, the tension will be equal to approximately 0.5488 kN.

2. What factors affect the tension of a cable supporting a beam?

The tension of a cable supporting a beam can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the beam, the length of the cable, the angle of the cable, and the material and strength of the cable itself. Additionally, external forces such as wind or other loads on the beam can also affect the tension of the cable.

3. How do I determine the angle of the cable supporting a beam?

The angle of the cable can be determined by using the trigonometric function tangent (tan). To find the angle, you will need to divide the height of the cable from the ground by the horizontal distance between the cable and the beam. The resulting value will be the tangent of the angle, which you can then use to find the angle using a scientific calculator or a trigonometric table.

4. What is the maximum weight that a cable can support?

The maximum weight that a cable can support is dependent on various factors, including the material and strength of the cable, the length and angle of the cable, and the external loads on the beam. It is important to consult with an engineer or use appropriate calculations to determine the maximum weight that a cable can safely support.

5. How can I ensure the safety of a cable supporting a beam?

To ensure the safety of a cable supporting a beam, it is important to follow proper engineering and safety guidelines. This may include using appropriate materials and cable strengths, properly securing the cable and beam, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the cable and supporting structure. It is also important to consider external factors such as wind and potential loads on the beam when determining the safety of the cable.