Tension of a rope holing a mass on an inclined plane

In summary, two blocks with masses of 52.0 kg and 30.0 kg are connected by a massless string on a frictionless incline with an angle of 11° from the horizontal ground. The forces acting on the blocks are weight and normal force, with the equation Fn + w = 0. Using this equation, the normal force is calculated to be -15288 N on the y-axis of the free-body diagram. However, this approach is incorrect and a different method is needed to solve for the x-component using the angle and normal force.
Rasine
Two blocks are connected by a massless string and are held in position by another massless string along a frictionless incline (as shown in the figure). Let M1 = 52.0 kg, M2 = 30.0 kg, and q = 11°. Calculate the tension in the string connecting the two blocks.

so..first i am going to use f=ma

the forces that need to be taken into acount is the weight and noraml force..so i have Fn+w=ma, but the boxes are stationary so the a=0

then i have Fn+w=0...so w=mg so now i have Fn+mg=0

i find Fn=-15288 N which is on the y-axis of my free-body diagram and then i try to solve for the x component on the digram using 11 deg and Fn...tan 11deg=15288/x

but that is not the right approch...please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is totally unclear:

1. Are your masses HANGING vertically?
2. Are both your masses lying on the incline?
3. Or is one of the masses hanging, the other lying on the incline?

both of the masses are conncected by a rope on an inclined plane with a 11 deg agnle from the horizontal ground

1. What is tension in the context of a rope holding a mass on an inclined plane?

Tension refers to the force exerted by a rope or cable when it is pulled taut. In the context of a rope holding a mass on an inclined plane, tension is the force that keeps the mass from sliding down the plane due to gravity.

2. How is tension affected by the angle of the inclined plane?

The tension in the rope is directly proportional to the angle of the inclined plane. As the angle increases, so does the tension, since the force of gravity pulling the mass down the plane also increases.

3. What factors affect the tension in the rope?

The tension in the rope is affected by the mass of the object on the inclined plane, the angle of the plane, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as the length and thickness of the rope may also play a role.

4. How does tension affect the motion of the mass on the inclined plane?

Tension is what keeps the mass from sliding down the inclined plane. If the tension in the rope is greater than the force of gravity, the mass will remain stationary. If the tension is less than the force of gravity, the mass will start to slide down the plane.

5. Can the tension in the rope ever be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, the tension in the rope can be greater than the force of gravity, as long as the angle of the inclined plane is steep enough. In this case, the tension would be pulling the mass up the plane instead of keeping it from sliding down.