Calculating Tensions in a Suspended Box with Two Ropes

• Thread starter riot13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves a box of mass m suspended by two ropes, one attached to the ceiling and another attached horizontally to a wall. A vector diagram is needed to represent the forces in this situation. The tension in each rope is the same when the box is hanging straight down, and this tension is also equal to the force acting on the box. For a box with a mass of 20kg, the tension in the pair of ropes can be calculated. The question is unclear about the direction of the ropes, but assuming they are parallel, the tension in both ropes must be equal.
riot13
1.A box of mass m,is suspended by a vertical rope attach to the ceiling and another rope attach to the wall horizontally to a wall.1)Draw a vector diagram representing the force in this situation.2)What is the tension in each rope if the box is hanging straight down.3)what are the rope tensions.4)Suppose the box has mass 20Kg,calculate the tension in the pair of ropesAny help or suggestion would be much appreciate it.Thanks

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What i am getting the idea out of this problem is that i assume vector diagram will be 90 degree.But i still couldn't figure out the 2,3 & 4 question

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by another rope attach to the wall horizontally to a wall ? Do you have a diagram?
And what's the difference between questions 2 and 3?

No diagram was given.But it will be like 90 degree one vertically attach to the ceiling and another attach horizontally to the wall.That question 2 and 3 is what bother me most as it look like the same question.

Draw the vector diagram, and see how forces on the block cancel each other out. Is the horizontally attached rope doing anything?

I think the question want us to assume that tension on both rope are the same as the diagram i can think of is perpendicular line with the right angel.So it will be like the tension of the two ropes equal to the force acting by the object?

According to the problem, two ropes must be parallel to each other. at one ends of the ropes the box is attached. And the other ends are connected to ceiling and the wall. In that case tension in the ropes must be equal.

1. How do you calculate the tension in two ropes?

The tension in two ropes can be calculated using the following formula: T = (m1 x g) + (m2 x g) + F, where T is the tension, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects attached to the ropes, g is the gravitational acceleration, and F is any external force acting on the system.

2. What factors affect the tension in two ropes?

The tension in two ropes is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects attached to the ropes, the gravitational acceleration, the angle at which the ropes are pulling, and any external forces acting on the system.

3. How does the angle of the ropes affect the tension?

The angle of the ropes affects the tension by changing the direction of the force exerted on the ropes. As the angle increases, the force exerted by the ropes also increases, resulting in a higher tension in the ropes.

4. Can the tension in two ropes ever be greater than the weight of the objects attached?

Yes, the tension in two ropes can be greater than the weight of the objects attached if there is an external force acting on the system. This is because the external force adds to the overall tension in the ropes.

5. Can the tension in two ropes ever be zero?

Yes, if the objects attached to the ropes have the same weight and the ropes are pulling at the same angle, the tension in the ropes will be zero. This is because the forces exerted by the ropes cancel each other out, resulting in a net force of zero.